Google Officially kills Wave

LSA KingLSA King Regular
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
Google is closing down development of its new-age communications platform Wave due to lack of interest.

The Chocolate Factory said Wednesday that it's stopping development of Wave as a stand-alone product because of a lack of user adoption.

The Wave site is being put on life support until the end of the year, with the technology extended for use in "other" Google projects. Google has promised to deliver tools that let early adopters extract their data and content from Wave implementations.

Greybeard partners such as Novell and SAP who though they could look cool by hanging ten on Google's Wave have been told they can keep using the more than 40,000 lines of code that has been released under open source — code for drag-and-drop and character-by-character live typing.

Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/04/google_wave_dead/

The year of "Fail" for Google left and right. I see their "Next" facebook platform failing as well. They should just stay out of the social networking market. Not everyone can do it as Microsoft and Apple have learned when trying to conquer the world, some are better than others at certain things.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited August 2010
    Social networking is pretty up there right now, it'll be hard to really do anything to revolutionize it. Google should just stick to putting manpower on getting totse.info at the top of the search results :D
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited August 2010
    Wave was destined to fail. It simply has no tangible purpose. I can't imagine a real use for all of those "collaborative tools".
    I had an account and tried it with a bunch of people and iIt sounds good on paper, but when you break it down it was just notepad+ email with to much distraction and it takes people out of their comfort zone.

In practice very few people have the need to collaborate in real time.

The fundamental problem with tools like wave and google docs is that the web browser is not a good way to deliver these kinds of stuff.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    Wave was destined to fail. It simply has no tangible purpose. I can't imagine a real use for all of those "collaborative tools".
    I had an account and tried it with a bunch of people and iIt sounds good on paper, but when you break it down it was just notepad+ email with to much distraction and it takes people out of their comfort zone.

In practice very few people have the need to collaborate in real time.

The fundamental problem with tools like wave and google docs is that the web browser is not a good way to deliver these kinds of stuff.

Yeah I agree. Unless Google can completely reinvent the social networking and collaborative wheel, I don't see them succeeding any time soon in that market. The next product I see completely failing and costing hundreds of millions is that Google TV business. How many billion dollar corporations need to try and "reinvent" TV for christs sakes, and FAIL!

I love the idea of collaborating especially when it comes to business or school like I am in with college. Makes those weekend projects so much more manageable since nobody checks their email these days. That is hardly "real-time" unless both users are on at the same time. Both Google and Microsoft have done extremely well blending it in with their email services and Google getting University and Government business while Microsoft gained a +1 with Facebook integration in the near future.

I didn't even want to consider Google Wave because from every screen I saw it looked like just a god awful mess. There was just too many things going on at once.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Never even heard of it.
    I just hope google doesn't fail on their GIGABIT!!! home internet service they're developing. Imagine downloading a movie in a minute...

Give google a break. Lord knows they've had a bunch of good years,let them have a bad. So long as google doesn't start putting ad banners on their search page It's all good. Nothing beats their search algorithm. NOTHING.