Smaller electronics = Less power

LSA KingLSA King Regular
edited August 2010 in Tech & Games
Well, I figured I'd get the more proper advice here than anywhere else since it's mostly us techie nerds that come here. Anyways, I have a final report that I have to start for my English class relating to "Green" technology and my topic is against green marketing in computer devices.

I know the fundamental reason why devices require less power and what not, but my only issue is finding the credible sources to back up the claims. If anyone can offer some input that would be greatly appreciated. Really I just need about 3 sources total to use as examples when discussing computer electronics such as CPU's, HDD vs SSD, NAND memory chips, and LCD monitors vs CRT.

Anything you got that I can use that basically explains why "so and so" device requires less power, energy, and resources than previous designs is a GO. I just need something and I can BS the argument my way that's my job. I know it's the weekend but if you come across anything feel free to post the source here. I am looking on my own as well and found it's much easier finding the stories on a regular basis through my tech news sites than it is trying to google search what I want.

It would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Size often has nothing to do with it. It's all in the efficiency of the semiconductors. The 7000 series logic ICs are the size as the 4000 series, yet the 4000 series uses less power due to thinner semiconductors.

What your trying to ask is very vague. What do I need to compare?
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited August 2010
    Size often has nothing to do with it. It's all in the efficiency of the semiconductors. The 7000 series logic ICs are the size as the 4000 series, yet the 4000 series uses less power due to thinner semiconductors.

What your trying to ask is very vague. What do I need to compare?

Yeah I know the specifics I was trying to be general without pre-writing my essay here lol. All I need is references aka credible sources to use as examples to back my argument that less energy consumption in electronics is a natural phase of technological development rather than some "New" fascination brought on by this whole "Green" wave.

If it references CPU's, GPU's, Hard drives, Monitors, etc. in the article or what have you that would be excellent. I've already found a few such as: I'm using the Cray 1 super computer using 115 KiloWatts of electricity and having far less computing power than a 250 watt system now as one example in my argument. Cause and effect kind of thing with someone who can be used as reference. Tomshardware, TheRegister, TheInquirer, etc. Those are valid Tech media outlets. It's kind of hard to explain the full details but what I'm trying to do is take all the tech know-how of why electronics are using less power and make my argument based off that. Basically if an article explains IC's (which I've found one but the more the merrier so I can compare best sources) and how it leads to less power consumption with technology advancements thats what I'm looking for.

But I plan to split my research into five separate categories hence why I ask for any references towards different components. My pain in the ass is the college only allows us 4 sources (1 is already mandatory :rolleyes:) leaving us with 3 to build an entire 6 page paper. I tend to use double the sources on all my writing so I'm just looking for help that can sort of hit multiple birds with one stone.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited August 2010
    Well, newer ICs are smaller on the inside --their gates are smaller. That means they can fit more gates into the same package and thus make a "smarter" CPU. Smaller gates also mean less electrons need to flow through them, and thus they use less power.