Mr. Mayberry Teaches Typing [Published]

MayberryMayberry Regular
edited April 2011 in Tech & Games
how-to-type.jpg

To become a proficient computer user, you should learn to type properly and quickly. Here, I will show you the most-used method of typing on a standard QWERTY keyboard.

First position your fingers on the keys highlighted in the picture. This middle row is called the Home Row. Left pinky on A, left ring finger on S, left middle finger on D, and left middle finger on F. Right pinky on ;, right ring finger on L, right middle finger on K, and right index finger on J. Thumb goes on the spacebar (the long key at the bottom). This is the rest position when you aren't typing any other keys.

To reach the other keys, simply use the finger in the corresponding diagonal column to press them. For example, if you wanted to type 'W,' then you would use your left ring finger as 'S' is in the same column as 'W'. The column for 'S' includes X, S, W, and 2.

Now, you might notice that 'G' and 'H' don't have any fingers in the rest position. Here, use the closest index finger to reach any keys in that column. For example, if you wanted to type 'B', you would use your left index finger as 'F' is the closest to the column with 'G.'

All the letters can be typed now, so let's move on to other keys. The spacebar is for making a space between two visible characters (anything single thing you type). Simply press it to make a space.

To type in uppercase letters, the Shift key comes into play. Hold down the Shift key and press a letter to type it in uppercase. Use the Shift key closest to the hand that isn't pressing the letter.

You may have noticed that some keys have two symbols on them. These include the number keys and the majority of keys reached by your right pinky. If you just press them, the bottom character will show up. If you hold Shift and press them, the top character will show up.

Finally, the Enter key is used to start a new line, and the backspace key to delete a character.

That's all you need to be able to type. Eventually with practice, you can start typing faster and even modify this method to suit yourself.

Happy typing!

Added to CMS by Trx100

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I just type however I feel like, but when you're learning, it's good to have some structure to build off of.
    edited September 2010
    Also, does anybody ever feel like boning Mavis Beacon?
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited September 2010
    I use my middle fingers and pointer fingers, and I need to look at the keys when I type. I can pump out about 75 WPM though.
  • AM33NAM33N Acolyte
    edited September 2010
    Tried learning to type using both hands but i ednd whit someting leik thid so I gave up. I also tried learning the left-handed dvorak method but swapping my laptop keyboard is frustrating. So I resorted to using the closest finger to the key depending on where my hand is :- P I think its called pecking ?
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, everyone can have their own method that works for them, but if you're using two index fingers and searching for each key, you're doing it wrong :p
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited September 2010
    I got 117 wpm on that test. The only way to learn how to type that fast is to memorize the keyboard and be able to type with your eyes closed or at least without looking at the keys. Memorize where they all are. Once you can type without looking you can greatly improve your speed and accuracy.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    I still have to start by looking at the board for a little while and then my eyes just drift up to the screen. So I am getting there. But I gotta have close to 65 WPM. Not a very proud number but I dont type very offten so it is good by me.
    edited September 2010
    65 is really good, though. The test was just goofy because it really only measures your random typing ability. A better test would be to type out a whole paragraph with as few mistakes as possible.
    edited September 2010
    The best test is sustained typing over time, but most people won't bother with a lengthy test just to see how fast they can type.
    edited September 2010
    Oh well. I know I can't actually type 117 wpm for lengthy periods of time. That 1 min test makes it easy to type really fast. I still can't believe I got position 169 out of 100,000. Pretty crazy. I want to see if I can do better.
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited September 2010
    Haha damn that is actually pretty good. I am just glad I can type fast enough that it isnt to boring to type and just give up.
  • MantikoreMantikore Regular
    edited September 2010
    i put my left hand on the keyboard like normal, but my right hand is situated one space to the right. i like the closer reach to the enter button i guess
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited April 2011
    Taken from: Technophiliacs & Technophiles
    CMS Status:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited April 2011
    I have shit dexterity so I only use my pinky fingers for the shift keys, also don't use my ring fingers for anything more than the far left and right keys. I don't have to keep my fingers planted in any one spot either, to make it so I don't have to look to type. Muscle memory I guess. I do glance down every now and then to locate my hands in relation to the keyboard, Usually after a paragraph or two when I start missing keys.

Not sure how fast I type, when I try, maybe 50wpm. Have no need to type any faster.