What should I say????

VickyVicky Regular
edited October 2010 in Spurious Generalities
A friend's brother just died young, I never knew them but I don't know what the hell to say to my friend or how to act. I suck at situations like this. Can anyone give me any advice on things to say???? If I wing it I'll end up accidentally saying something untactful and this guy is really sensitive. I've never had anyone I knew well die, never been to a funeral so I can't even relate in the slightest. And if I come out with a story about my cat that died I'm pretty sure this friend will be insulted.

Comments

• DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited October 2010
    Don't stress yourself out over it to much. In these situations most people prefer if you just give your condolences and are there for them. Otherwise just act "normal" and support him/
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited October 2010
    If you are unsure, the safest thing to say would be something simple: "I am so sorry for your loss."

Or you could just go for something more Totsean: "Molotov everything." :o
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited October 2010
    "I'm sorry to hear the bad news" (generally it's acceptable for you to hug him or give a solemn handshake) and talk about mundane shit for a while.
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited October 2010
    The two of you need to get very, very drunk. Things will work out from there.
    edited October 2010
    You could also tell your friend to man the fuck up and stop being a little pussy boy crying and shit about his brother:o People die everyday why is his bro so special?:o
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    Make them a casserole, and say "I'm sorry for your loss."
    edited October 2010
    Make them a casserole, and say "I'm sorry for your loss."

What if she isn't sorry for his loss?
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited October 2010
    Then make a nasty casserole.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited October 2010
    Let him touch your boobs?
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
    Vicky wrote: »
    this guy is really sensitive.

Get the emo this fallout boy album and tell him track 2 may help with this sad loss.:(
    edited October 2010
    I didn't see the sensitive part. In that case he can go fuck himself. Sensitive guys are fail. To comfort him make sure to let him know that his bro is decaying in the ground as we speak being eaten by bugs and most likely in hell. That should cheer him up. In fact God just told me he is in hell so lol at his fate.:)
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited October 2010
    A friend's brother just died young, I never knew them but I don't know what the hell to say to my friend or how to act. I suck at situations like this. Can anyone give me any advice on things to say???? If I wing it I'll end up accidentally saying something untactful and this guy is really sensitive. I've never had anyone I knew well die, never been to a funeral so I can't even relate in the slightest. And if I come out with a story about my cat that died I'm pretty sure this friend will be insulted.

I'm sorry for your loss. Let him feel you up and/or show us your tits. Make him some kind of dish or dessert like cookies, cause baked goods are awesome when someone just got cremated.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited October 2010
    What'd he die of anyways?... Vicky :confused:
    Suicide by Hanging. "Yo! Hows it hanging? I thought I'd hang out with you for a bit"
    Hereditary Cancer - "I'm sorry, it must be eating you up inside as well"
    etc,etc. Next!
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited October 2010
    "AYE YO. Fuck that nigga."
  • borntodieborntodie Acolyte
    edited October 2010
    you open with a joke.i here hell is warm this time of year...but seriously. i am very sorry to hear about your brother.hes in a better place now... then end on the truth. it must suck knowing that your now the favorite son by default.
    edited October 2010
    borntodie wrote: »
    you open with a joke.i here hell is warm this time of year...but seriously. i am very sorry to hear about your brother.hes in a better place now... then end on the truth. it must suck knowing that your now the favorite son by default.

God tells me hes in hell. If thats a better place than ok:p
    edited October 2010
    God tells me hes in hell. If thats a better place than ok:p

right right. id say its a better place...all my friends will be there.
    edited October 2010
    right right. id say its a better place...all my friends will be there.

Cool I hope you enjoy being pounded by satans cock.:o
    edited October 2010
    Cool I hope you enjoy being pounded by satans cock.:o

pssh i never said im going. but since you already knew, the whol satans cock thing only applies to others. others who didnt have fun in life.
    edited October 2010
    I haz fun with life but God loves me and not you:p
    edited October 2010
    I haz fun with life but God loves me and not you:p

i feel a wholy war abrewin.we can do this but i feel i should tell you that i will win.just because you wont.
    edited October 2010
    i feel a wholy war abrewin.we can do this but i feel i should tell you that i will win.just because you wont.

I accept your holy war. I fear not your heathen Gods.
  • edited October 2010
    LOL someone's brother died? My brother is the shit, we hang out all the time and do cool bro activities, sucks for whoever's died man. I'm glad my brother is alive and not a smelly deceased corpse with worms and maggots in every orifice. :o:o
  • edited October 2010

Don't say anything having to do with his brother. Chances are he's being assaulted on all sides by well meaning morons who think they can console his grief with a couple of words. By saying something you imply that you have some connection with his pain, that you understand it, and you know you don't, and I give you credit for that.

If you truly want to be helpful, just give him a hug, and say, "if you need to talk, give me a call". This might open you up for a little bit more of an emotional investment than you are willing to give, but thats up to you. Give him lots of space, way too many people are going to want to hold his hand, but that will only insult him. Because in his mind his sadness and loss is all he has left that attaches him to his brother, and he will cling to it until he decides it is time to let it go.

Being a friend to someone that has experienced a loss like his is one of life's challenges, listening to someone who is in deep pain is like nails on a blackboard, we don't want to hear it. Most of us would like to just say something like "I heard about your brother, shitty deal, he was too young", and walk away while the poor fucker goes white knuckle/red face, thinking "how the fuck would you know, you never even met him"

If he chooses to talk to you, don't say much. He doesn't want your opinion, he just wants to be heard. If you think you can stand it, let him cry on your shoulder. How you deal with this can make you a better person, and I hope you try to do your best to help him, this work is good karma of the highest order. Watch out though, set some boundaries and make sure he knows you are doing this as a friend, dumping your guts on someone who is willing to take it can create an emotional connection he might later try to pursue.

C/O
    "emo?, me?, fuck no, I'm a fucking rock, hail satan, whatever"
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited October 2010
    I never understood why people say "i'm sorry" when someone dies. It fucks me off.
  • mafiasexmafiasex Semo-Regulars
    edited October 2010
    I didn't see the sensitive part. In that case he can go fuck himself. Sensitive guys are fail. To comfort him make sure to let him know that his bro is decaying in the ground as we speak being eaten by bugs and most likely in hell. That should cheer him up. In fact God just told me he is in hell so lol at his fate.:)

Who'd want to go to heaven? I wouldn't want to go to a place that's full of assholes, even if the concepts of heaven and hell were true.