OMFG WTF? Why is Totse style changing?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Redid the html and the css and changed the style. The forum should work without problems. Working on Vbull CSS and fixing errors.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Layout revised, I am from top to bottom. Everything should be fine now. We can start working on the colors and stuff. I will get this template over to the cms shortly. Thanks for all the help.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Redid the CSS and borrowed some code from &Z. Mostly CSS.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Okay, this is another layout which removes the exta bit and gives more space to the forums. Thanks to Zok for the CSS [I copied it from his theme, I did PM him about it]
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Fixed the imahe problem by limiting it and making it open in a new window.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited November 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Okay, this is another layout which removes the exta bit and gives more space to the forums. Thanks to Zok for the CSS [I copied it from his theme, I did PM him about it]

Please tell me that this is just temporary.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    vozhde wrote: »
    Please tell me that this is just temporary.

Duh, I copied the CSS to fix some errors which were hard to trace. Jeff made the template for 3.7 and we're using 3.8. Plus, zok just use the default Vbull template and just changed the colors. I will just compare notes and try to get the colors back and get the old layout in place.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
    Dfg, I don't like the new forum layout... Too cocklet-y
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited November 2010
    I'm liking where this is going. I can't tell exactly what has changed, but something has and it looks more crisp. Actually feels and is starting to look more like the old Totse as far as forums go.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Can I haz some color information regarding totse forum.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    If you click on the resize the image bar it will open the image in a new Window. I enabled this setting to avoid the page rape. It can be reverted if required.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited November 2010
    I posted screenshots of the old totse so you guys could compare colors. I think we should use the old color scheme. Things are looking better now, though.
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited November 2010
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Sorry for that, I was working on adding a new panel which would list cms articles. But my ADSL link went down and the code got double pasted. I couldn't fix it since my Internet was down. After 10 minutes of solid cursing and one complaint to the phone company I got the link back up.
  • edited November 2010
    Sorry to dredge from page 4, I've been busy and there's some things I'd like to comment on.
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    You forgot to note they're paying for this shithole.
    It's not my intention to roll up and act like I get to make all the choices just because I'm paying for it. I like the sort of democratic theme we have going, which is why I chose to be public with my distaste; I'd just rather voice my opinion and let everyone decide.

Now that being said, I don't oppose it because I dislike the new texture. It's a very nice cleaned up version of the old one and that's great, but that's also the problem. To me it's such a very negligible difference in aesthetic that I feel we should have kept the old one as a memento. In my opinion it's part of the heritage of the site, and after all it's the only part of it that has really stood the test of time. Maybe I'm just a nostalgic person, but to me it's sort of like comparing an old oil painting to a digital photo. Sure, the photo is more crisp and clear, but the oil painting has its own special charm and history to it.

I trust y'all to do what's best for the site and the community even if it's not my preferred choice, I just wanted to clear that up. The site looks great, good work to everyone involved.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    ^Thanks for the feedback Vineman.

Remember guys we're just fixing the markup. We haven't corrected the colors and started matching this current theme with Totse old theme. So, just be patient. Let us work with the layout and make it at least work on various platforms. We need a modular layout for CMS and the curent version just works. We will be modifying it every day and you see that each step we take will be towards the old totse famous look which we all love.

Status update:
    After head banging and different tests, we got a new Articles box which shows current articles from the cms. www.totse.info/cms
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Yes, I can see the animated banner which shows CMS feeds. It's atm a test banner. Thanks to skittles [it was his idea] we will have rotating banners but the cool thing is, those banner will advertise totse, totse community and users blogs randomly. I know it will take some time to code or find a script for this but it can be done.

Feel free to suggestion or bitch about things. I honestly enjoy your view points and it helps me keep things in control.
    edited November 2010
    My article is in the banner. That's win.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited November 2010
    Vineman wrote: »
    Sorry to dredge from page 4, I've been busy and there's some things I'd like to comment on.
    It's not my intention to roll up and act like I get to make all the choices just because I'm paying for it. I like the sort of democratic theme we have going, which is why I chose to be public with my distaste; I'd just rather voice my opinion and let everyone decide.

Now that being said, I don't oppose it because I dislike the new texture. It's a very nice cleaned up version of the old one and that's great, but that's also the problem. To me it's such a very negligible difference in aesthetic that I feel we should have kept the old one as a memento. In my opinion it's part of the heritage of the site, and after all it's the only part of it that has really stood the test of time. Maybe I'm just a nostalgic person, but to me it's sort of like comparing an old oil painting to a digital photo. Sure, the photo is more crisp and clear, but the oil painting has its own special charm and history to it.

I trust y'all to do what's best for the site and the community even if it's not my preferred choice, I just wanted to clear that up. The site looks great, good work to everyone involved.

I think I'm gonna like you bro. (nohomo) :hai:
    Honest opinions without &^*(%_$ point of view earns a big respect in my book:thumbsup:
    Yes, I can see the animated banner which shows CMS feeds. It's atm a test banner. Thanks to skittles [it was his idea] we will have rotating banners but the cool thing is, those banner will advertise totse, totse community and users blogs randomly. I know it will take some time to code or find a script for this but it can be done.

Feel free to suggestion or bitch about things. I honestly enjoy your view points and it helps me keep things in control.
    I like the banner idea. No overkill animation resembling an epileptic nightmare. :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Added a rotating banner. It uses jquery and it has tons of options. It supports plain text. I am going to test this for a while and then add community banners in it. I tried using a third party solution to manage the ads but it didn't work well.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Hmmm. I had to remove it because it was a bit heavy on the client side. I am going to look for something simpler.
    edited November 2010
    Hmmm. I had to remove it because it was a bit heavy on the client side. I am going to look for something simpler.

The rotating banner at the top right is win. I really like the simplicity, but maybe you could make the text easier to read? It's kind of faint.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    I was going to replace that with different banners. The current banner will be used on other pages :).
    edited November 2010
    But I like seeing my articles there :(
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    But I like seeing my articles there :(

<-- Use That :)

Plus that space is a great place to add banners.

Like I could have a banner for Dfg Collage Project,
    You can have a banner for Fangkai Articles
    We can have a banner for some ongoing project and we can have banners for various community blogs. The idea is to expose our content to the old and tease the lurkers into joining in.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    edited November 2010
    How do I use that space for my articles?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    How do I use that space for my articles?

Once I find a working script or system that doesn't fuck the layout, We will have weekly banners rotation in which new banners are added. You just need to create 468*60 or 400*60 res banner and it will be included along with a link to your content.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited November 2010
    redneck-mansion.jpg
    Heh! <tables>
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited November 2010
    Don't know if this will help, but there's some 3.8 Vbul mods here... 13.5 mb

http://www.box.net/shared/o1828ummx5

password: http://forumshares.com
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited November 2010
    Spectral, you do know we legally own VB right? Also, DFG check why Hot topics is using site ip over domain.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited November 2010
    Hellish wrote: »
    Spectral, you do know we legally own VB right? Also, DFG check why Hot topics is using site ip over domain.
    I figured you did, I just thought these were hacks which allowed special functions.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Hellish wrote: »

It's Google Feedburner fuck up. I am looking at a replace for me. Won't take much time.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    What a day, I had some IRL work today and I didn't sleep well, so I like went to sleep around 6 pm and woke up around 12:16 AM. Haven't eaten anything and I am fucked up. But anyway, tonights the night :).

Going to:
    A)Fix the fucking Hot Topics. [Done]
    B)Fix the CMS layout and make the content area and the heading area colors different. [Done]
    C) Change Totse Forum and Gradient colors to match the old totse [that will require some constant updates so :(... don't get mad).
    D) I will add a bulk of more files mostly by katz. In progress
    E) Add Youtube support to CMS or test the video embedding.
    F) Make 10 new threads regarding different things.

Stumble,Reddit,Digg. Twitter things.

And then sleep :). This should take some 2+ hours. Its 12:20 AM and I am going to eat now. Sorry for the delay, I am honestly doing my best here.

EDIT: lost internet for a while.
    edited November 2010
    Keep up the good work. We've got the stable server and shit is gettin fixed. Pretty soon it'll be advertising time.
  • edited November 2010
    I'm loving the hard work you're putting into this place. We're soon going to hit the next milestone of having a fully functional site, which is when the advertising starts. That's going to be a hard job though, right?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    ^ exactly :)

Fixed the CMS colors. Now it looks a lot better than before.

Next target the fucking hot topics bar.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Hot Topics IP issue fixed [back to the old script]
    edited November 2010
    Can we use the old totse scheme I posted in this thread in posts 47 and 48?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Can we use the old totse scheme I posted in this thread in posts 47 and 48?

Well, yeah. I am making the current theme just like it.
    edited November 2010
    Well, yeah. I am making the current theme just like it.

Ah ok. I didn't know that was in the works. The way posts look is still different from the original.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    User title etc moved to left.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    User title etc moved to left.

I preferred it on top :p
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    I preferred it on top :p

Hush, we're moving back in time now.
    edited November 2010
    Totse wasn't like this. It looks cluttered with the extra info and avatars.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Reverting to the old format. There seem to some problems with this. Mostly the quick reply doens't work well.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Much better I guess, hmmm anyway, I will work on this more. I compared the screenshots and it's a bitch to match them. I will wait till skittles reworks the images.
    edited November 2010
    Yeah it looks like it'd be a pain, but I imagine skittles has the skills to do it.
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited December 2010
    Is there any way to put the hot topics menu back on the right, but still keep the same width thread table/window/section as it is now? I just can't get used to it on the left (and I imagine plenty of people feel the same way).