Totse magazine?

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited December 2010 in Help and Suggestions
Check this out: http://hercampus.com/

I read about it in the NY Times. Sites like this turn a profit. Is there some way we could do a totse version? Make part of the site a magazine-style place (maybe with the CMS?) and use it to generate revenue and traffic? We have tons of articles. I think we need some focus, though, and other members have said that they don't know what to write articles about, so maybe this is a way to focus our efforts on producing something.

Now this is very bloggish and in some ways seems against what totse was about, but I think we have to update to the new decade and realize that right now this is the kind of shit that generates traffic. Since we have true freedom of speech we can really write about tons of shit.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Now this is very bloggish and in some ways seems against what totse was about, but I think we have to update to the new decade and realize that right now this is the kind of shit that generates traffic. Since we have true freedom of speech we can really write about tons of shit.

I don't really want this place to be known as "that site which generates traffic". The idea is interesting, but we need a more solid reason other than generating traffic.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    People obviously like reading online magazines and articles, how-to's, guides and other stuff. Here we have freedom of speech and can write about whatever. We should use that freedom and the articles we have in order to create a totse magazine. We can have various sections mirroring the forums we have. It'll get people interested in us and give us an outlet for creativity by giving us goals. It'll get people interested in coming here because they can write for us too. People can write about what they know about or what they're interested in, and in return people will be Reading * Knowing * and hopefully Doing. We can use the idea of totse to motivate people to do shit. Most people don't like forums anymore. They're used to the idea and style of blogs. If we make a totse magazine with comments enabled on our articles, we can reach more people and get them into the totse mindset.

Generating traffic and revenue is helpful, but obviously they're corollaries to our main goal: spread the totse ideals.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Actually we do have an implementation in place on the CMS which:
    A) Can create books.
    B) Can create Galleries.

In short, we can pull of anything we like.
    edited December 2010
    Then I think this should be a goal to work for. Look at the site I linked to. There are shittons of sites like that, but we can be even better. Maybe we can get skittles, bk or katz to help with some graphic stuff, make a flashy banner and get it looking clean. I think if we organize the articles into their own kind of sub-website it'll look better and people will get more interested in reading them. Is that doable?

This is really the best way to get our guides out there. We can offer the reddit, twitter and all those other options. If we create a platform for our guides to be read and commented on, we're putting our time and effort to good use.
  • edited December 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    People obviously like reading online magazines and articles, how-to's, guides and other stuff. Here we have freedom of speech and can write about whatever. We should use that freedom and the articles we have in order to create a totse magazine. We can have various sections mirroring the forums we have. It'll get people interested in us and give us an outlet for creativity by giving us goals. It'll get people interested in coming here because they can write for us too. People can write about what they know about or what they're interested in, and in return people will be Reading * Knowing * and hopefully Doing. We can use the idea of totse to motivate people to do shit. Most people don't like forums anymore. They're used to the idea and style of blogs. If we make a totse magazine with comments enabled on our articles, we can reach more people and get them into the totse mindset.

Generating traffic and revenue is helpful, but obviously they're corollaries to our main goal: spread the totse ideals.

Now you're talking! :D I'm interested now, and as Dfg says - we can use the CMS to create things like this. Perhaps it's something to look into.
    edited December 2010
    Excellent. I don't want our guides to go to waste, and I think an online magazine format is the way to present them.

I'd be willing to do an ongoing S&A advice column. We could have other columns for questions about other topics as well. I think we could do a lot with an online magazine. Hopefully others feel the same way.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    You can have blogs on Totse as well :). I just need a layout plan. An image would be helpful.
  • edited December 2010
    I'm shit at designing, but I think it would all be good as long as we keep the information flowing. Make sure information isn't hidden up on the page, we need people to see every last scrap of it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    Hmm we used have a thread for redoing the CMS design etc. We don't really need to follow this layout.

SOMEONE MAKE A THREAD PLEASE :). Yes, I know I should make it but we're all equal so it doesn't really matter who makes it.

EDIT: What I meant was a seperate CMS Design thread which is dedicated for submitting some concepts/layouts etc.
  • edited December 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Hmm we used have a thread for redoing the CMS design etc. We don't really need to follow this layout.

SOMEONE MAKE A THREAD PLEASE :). Yes, I know I should make it but we're all equal so it doesn't really matter who makes it.

EDIT: What I meant was a seperate CMS Design thread which is dedicated for submitting some concepts/layouts etc.

How about the one I made earlier today?

http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=8081
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited December 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    How about the one I made earlier today?

http://totse.info/bbs/showthread.php?t=8081

That should work. Add Suggestions in the title :).
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    I like this idea. I'd like to write some stuff for it as well if this happens.