I need help!

homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
Alright so I'm transferring to this college in January and during orientation the IT guy was giving a speech about not to use limewire/frostwire/bit torrent etc. to download music and movies then he stated that students in the past have been subpoena'd into court and charge with piracy. I was wondering if there was a way around this? I was thinking perhaps like a proxy or something but I'm not sure.. soooooo any ideas?

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Don't download over a proxy, its inconsiderate for others using the service. You could set up a vpn so you could download from college using a home connection, or you could just download using warez sites and file sharing services like Megaupload. Chances are, they won't even know anyway.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    Proxy is your friend.
  • edited December 2010
    There is a proxy torrent service, I forget what its called now. Possibly i2p.
  • edited December 2010
    Sounds like your IT guy was using some scare tactics, but maybe not. I would suggest getting the lay of the land once you get to college. If you use a proxy, I would suggest Hotspot Shield, just set your download speed slow, like 100k/min, you can still download a movie or diskography overnight and you will not cause too much of a burden on the proxy. Also, Vuze kicks ass, if there is a bad side to Vuze would someone please tell me, it seems fucking great.
    C/O
    "Hotspot Shield, sooo many ads, but it gets me on totse!"
  • KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
    edited December 2010
    FUCK WMG, FUCK SONY MUSIC, FUCK EMI.

UMG is cool though.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited December 2010
    sounds good I gotta look into it more
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited December 2010
    Go to a Starbucks or somewhere that offers free wifi (off of campus) and download there.
  • edited December 2010
    sounds good I gotta look into it more

Definitely look into it more. Don't start downloading until you've gotten a better understanding of what the IT security is like, and how much they actually check up on shit like this.

Personally, the place I go to tells you not to download anything at all. They have a 100MB connection, so I've been sitting there downloading games and music non stop and they've never even batted an eyelid.

Get a feel for the place first. Start downloading small files, see if it raises any suspicions. Talk to other people there, etc.
    edited December 2010
    yeah im not to too worried about it because my campus has 15,000 students but to use internet access you have to use your school ID. But still out of 15,000 people I imagine there has to be massive downloading going on
  • edited December 2010
    Just start slow, and go for it dude. Get a feel for how the network operates, how the technicians monitor the useage and shit. You should be fine, I'm not sure how easy it is to monitor this kind of thing. Try and stick with Warez, as it's easy to monitor traffic use on things like Limewire and Utorrent who use specific ports to operate on.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    Sounds like your IT guy was using some scare tactics, but maybe not. I would suggest getting the lay of the land once you get to college. If you use a proxy, I would suggest Hotspot Shield, just set your download speed slow, like 100k/min, you can still download a movie or diskography overnight and you will not cause too much of a burden on the proxy. Also, Vuze kicks ass, if there is a bad side to Vuze would someone please tell me, it seems fucking great.
    C/O
    "Hotspot Shield, sooo many ads, but it gets me on totse!"
    Adblockplus. Seriously. Hotspot shield has 0 ads if you use that firefox addon.

Here's another idea: What you need to do is say fuck downloading on campus. Go to your local starbucks, public library or any local free wifi spot and download there. Always use http://www.peerblock.com/ to help them not get caught.

You could use hotspot shield vpn, but I cant get torrents to work properly with it on so I don't bother. If you use megaupload or rapidshit I'd suggest keeping a vpn running and peerblock.

Chances are if you don't download new shit you won't get caught. I typically only download movies that are 2 years old, and for music I torrent whatever the fuck I want.

If you do get caught, you will either lose your internet on campus, get sued, or maybe even expelled. That's what happens at my school at least. Don't get caught.
  • edited December 2010
    An alternative to Peerblock is Peerguardian 2.0 - something which I have tried and tested. It works pretty great :D
  • edited December 2010
    Seriously, you'd download with a proxy?
    You'd get shitty speeds, and you'd fuck up the service for everyone else. Especially TOR - Don't torrent with TOR.

Stop worrying, get used to it all, and you'd download easily. If you're really paranoid, change your MAC address.
  • edited December 2010
    It's easy to spoof your MAC, I'll write a guide on it :D

Also, which proxy service do you use to download, and are you Torrenting, or doing direct downloads in your browser?
    edited December 2010
    I've been checking out a lot of stuff like BTGuard, Anonymizer etc but a lot of the reviews say the services are just straight crap., Also I downloaded peerblock I hope that helps!