Want to learn how to play guitar?

homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
I can teach you from here for FREE!

I've been playing for 6 years now but I've seen guys who have been playing for 15+ years and that don't have half the skills I do and I had no teachers I completely taught myself

If anyone is interested I will post more

Comments

• edited December 2010
    I've been playing for like 14 years now, and I should know a lot more than I currently do. Fancy suggesting some theory which I could learn which would improve my soloing?

All I've got to work around at the moment are major and minor pentatonic scales, which is kind of gay. I need to learn more, but I have no idea what to learn next.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2010
    Post some more let's see it mang.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited December 2010
    For a begginer (to soloing anyway) I would recomend people first start working on hammer ons, pull offs and trills - get them sounding really clean because it does take some time to develop the strenth and accuracy needed in the fingers. Along with this work on your vibrato - fast, slow, wide, understated - this is what is going to add feeling.

I would then look at training the ear for bends and slides - remembering back, I got my my ear in by Chuck Berry duckwalking over and over again.

This combinded with knowing you scales - in all positions - should get people moving along pretty quickly. Once comfortable with the above, try double stops - I think these allways sound good or bad with no middle ground - if you can play, you can double stop, if you cant, you cant.

Play things you are familar with -if you have heard a song a thousand times, you will learn it a hell of a lot quicker than if it is new to you.
    edited December 2010
    Also, if you are after decent tabs online, use software such as powertabs or guitarpro.

Powertabs is free but you can only do guitar based tabs with midi playback. Guitarpro has most instruments (and can be used as a backing track) and you can playback in midi or RSE.

I pretty much stopped buying tab books and mags when I came across gpro - it is also very good for writing you own compositions in.
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited December 2010
    Yes I also use guitar pro and you can get it for free if you pirate it, if you know how to use torrents get it from this link and follow the directions

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Guitar-Pro-5-2-Newest-version-Fully-cracked/4486d040c3c0294f37b8ad2f7ded2481353316b3bd65

For solo's they are a lot more intimidating than they look or sound my biggest problem was perfectly syncing my pick speed and finger speed, I hope after 14 years you can double pick because if you can't then you better learn!

The next best tool after guitar pro... YOU TUBE! I've used it so many times to watch someone play a cover of a song I was learning to see what techniques we're being used

And last PRACTICE! and a good ol 24 hour break always helps to

Best of luck
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited December 2010
    I don't think it is a great idea to post live links to pirated software. :facepalm:
  • homeslice4700homeslice4700 Regular
    edited December 2010
    I don't think it is a great idea to post live links to pirated software. :facepalm:

crying-tears.jpg
    edited December 2010
    I hope after 14 years you can double pick because if you can't then you better learn!

Yeah, I forgot to put double picking - if you want to play any Iron Maiden its essential. I never really had a problem with it, but one of the first tunes I had learned to play was Miserlou.

Edit:

LOL at top comment.