Burglary Proof Your Home

fanglekaifanglekai Regular
edited January 2011 in Man Cave

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd also add mail slots as a vulnerable area. If you have one, keep the area around the mail slot clear, as burglars with a tool that fits through will be able to grab anything within reach. Don't keep your keys near your door.
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited January 2011
    That's a good point. If you leave a spare key by the door, you've effectively ruined all your security measures.

Mail slots should be locked shut or just get a door without a mail slot.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    Good guide but I'll stick with this
    rem_870_wingmaster.jpg
    edited January 2011
    That was at the end :o
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    That was at the end :o

Yes but with the mighty shotgun no other precautions are needed.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes but with the mighty shotgun no other precautions are needed.

Not if you aren't home. A decent burglar will plan it out so that you're not home at the time of the burglar. Just put yourself in the shoes of a burglar (Should be easy if you already are one lol) and patch up your security weaknesses. If a potential burglar sees you have your house well protected, he'll just move on to an easier target.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember that show that had on Discovery called "It Takes a Thief". It was great. The basically would contact the people before and say they were going to rob there house, so they set up cameras. Then, one day while they were gone, they would break in and rob their house. The best part about it was that the thief would totally destroy their house. Then the host would contact the people and show them how to properly secure their house. It was a good show. You probably could pull some tips for burglaries off of it. The guy who would rob the houses was an ex-thief.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    what i would do is buy atleast 3 dogs. preferably chow. (i used 2 own a 80 pound oldworld chow chow) i like the chow because they are 1-fast and 2-they dont make alot of noise, barking etc. they mostly growl. so if you have chows the burgler wont know they are there until hes getting mawld by them. also 3 of them because they will hunt like a pact of wolves. catch my drift ;)
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    I remember that show that had on Discovery called "It Takes a Thief". It was great. The basically would contact the people before and say they were going to rob there house, so they set up cameras. Then, one day while they were gone, they would break in and rob their house. The best part about it was that the thief would totally destroy their house. Then the host would contact the people and show them how to properly secure their house. It was a good show. You probably could pull some tips for burglaries off of it. The guy who would rob the houses was an ex-thief.
    That's where I got the idea, actually. For some reason that show popped into my head today and I wanted to make a thread about home security. I was also reading some bullshit about "home defense" and what firearm to choose, and there were comments like "I'll use this when someone breaks in to my house to try to rob me!!" First off, most people in the US will never get robbed. Second, burglars will do it during the daytime when you aren't home. If the only thing you have to secure your home is a gun, it's worthless when you aren't there. Unless you never leave your house, a gun should only be a last line of defense.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »

I used to watch that show a lot. I tried my damnedest to find it streaming online but no luck.
    edited January 2011
    ILTST9 wrote: »
    Not if you aren't home. A decent burglar will plan it out so that you're not home at the time of the burglar. Just put yourself in the shoes of a burglar (Should be easy if you already are one lol) and patch up your security weaknesses. If a potential burglar sees you have your house well protected, he'll just move on to an easier target.

Well yeah obviously it's most likely to be done in the day but at that point there isn't much you can so besides dog or alarm. And even those won't stop a determined burglar.
    edited January 2011
    Well yeah obviously it's most likely to be done in the day but at that point there isn't much you can so besides dog or alarm. And even those won't stop a determined burglar.
    No, but window locks and strong doors will help too. If someone really, really wants in your house they'll get in. The thing is, most burglars are looking for easy targets. Maximum gain with minimum effort.
    edited January 2011
    fanglekai wrote: »
    No, but window locks and strong doors will help too. If someone really, really wants in your house they'll get in. The thing is, most burglars are looking for easy targets. Maximum gain with minimum effort.

Very true. Honestly with most burglars a dog would be all that is necessary for them to move on to a different target.
    edited January 2011
    Yep, but you'll want to have a few more security measures in place anyway. For a few hundred you could really secure your windows and doors. Adding some motion-activated lights wouldn't hurt either.
    edited January 2011
    One other tip I thought of is if you have the money a surveillance camera wouldn't be a bad idea. That way even if they break in you have his face on tape.
  • edited January 2011
    Security lights are brilliant. There's nothing worse than sneaking around at night, only to have a fucking light turn on and illuminate you for the world to see.

Seems like a simple idea, but it deters people for sure.