Problem with windows 7:can't extend desktop

burntofferingburntoffering Acolyte
edited January 2011 in Tech & Games
so, when I plug an outside monitor into my asus laptop, I get the options to duplicate desktop to both monitors, or just view it on one, but not to extend desktop. while all the online tutorials I've looked at, show the option to extend desktop. it's a brand spanking new laptop, so I can't see any reason why the hardware wouldn't support it. any ideas?

Comments

• edited January 2011
    Are you using w7:starter? Thats what's on my shabby excuse for a netbook, and I can't even change my wallpaper without editing the system file.
  • burntofferingburntoffering Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Are you using w7:starter? Thats what's on my shabby excuse for a netbook, and I can't even change my wallpaper without editing the system file.

that is correct, I had to download a 3rd party program to customize my desktop, but back to the subject at hand; there are conflicting reports on the webz, some say starter can't extend desktop, some say it can, some say pro can't some say it can, and what pisses me off, is that microsoft says you can, and has a very helpful tutorial for doing it, which has steps that I can't perform, because the goddamn drop down menus don't have the options I need.
    my graphics accelarator registers my external monitor, but the display settings don't seem to think it exists....sigh, and, conversly, it is working right now as a clone monitor. I don't know what to do! besides cut myself and cry...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited January 2011
    Install driver from the manufacturer. Pressing CTRL+P will you give the extend options. Or you can use a third Pary software to handle the extending bit.
  • burntofferingburntoffering Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Dfg wrote: »
    Install driver from the manufacturer. Pressing CTRL+P will you give the extend options. Or you can use a third Pary software to handle the extending bit.
    is there a specific one?