Make Broccoli With Garlic Sauce

PacoPaco me administrator
edited January 2011 in Life
It's a lot like the shit you can get at Chinese restaurants but a lot healthier and, depends on where you buy your Chinese food, tastier too.

Ingredients

1 large bunch fresh broccoli
1/4 cup of water
3 large cloves garlic (minced)
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 cup beef or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon canola or corn oil

Directions

In a bowl, stir garlic, broth, soy sauce, cornstarch, sugar, and sesame oil. Set aside for now.

Trim broccoli like usual and slice somewhat thinly.

Heat a large skillet over heat high and add the canola or corn oil.

When the oil is hot, carefully add the broccoli. Cook for around 3 to 4 minutes, continually stirring until the broccoli begins to become slightly brown.

Reduce the heat to medium and add the 1/4 cup of water.

Cover and steam the broccoli for around 3 to 4 more minutes until it begins to soften.

Pour garlic sauce over broccoli, cook for 2 to 3 minutes longer until the broccoli is tender-crisp and the sauce thickens.

Serve immediately and enjoy.

This recipe is Paco Approved :D

2im2p2c.jpg

Comments

• Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    That looks tasty. . .Our fucking cooking forum is bigger than any one. :mad:
  • PacoPaco me administrator
    edited January 2011
    Well that's because eating food is a necessity for life, everyone does it, every day. So it applies to everyone, where as other forums such as BI only apply to wanna-be criminals or like Gearheads which only applies to.. well, Gearheads.
    edited January 2011
    I love broccoli :hai: Looks pretty tasty and i will definitely give this one a try one of these days.

Yea, Broccoli is my favorite vegetable :P It's well worth it, It took me like 20 - 25 minutes to make it tonight and it was de-fucking-lisious.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Dunno if it's the lighting, but the broccoli looks pretty mushy. How soft do you eat your broccoli? I like mine very crispy, barely cooked.
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Dunno if it's the lighting, but the broccoli looks pretty mushy. How soft do you eat your broccoli? I like mine very crispy, barely cooked.

It is mushy, I steamed it for a little too long. Nonetheless, It was delicious. This is the first time I made it so I still need to perfect it.
  • edited January 2011
    Good guide paco, thanks, add a grilled chicken breast and some brown rice and you have yourself a pretty damn healthy meal.

C/O
    "I is sleepy, I do modly thing, checky forum, now sleepy sleep"
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    I kinda bastardised the above for dinner today.

Enough for two.

Couple of dried chopped porcinnni mushrooms (soak in boiling water 10 mins)
    Thumb of ginger, matchsticked
    4 cloves of garlic, sliced thin
    1 small onion, chunked
    Two chicken breasts, sliced
    3 teaspoons of Cornflour
    Couple of chicken stock cubes
    1 head of calabrese / broccoli
    oil - I generally use ground nut

4 oz Brown rice
    Couple of eggs
    half a cup frozen peas
    Dark soy sauce

Get the rice on, it takes about 35 minutes. When it is done, rinse it in cold water.

Soak the mushrooms in boiling water - when they are re-hydrated, lift them from the water - it will be a nice mushroom stock now - pour it off from what it is in as their will be sediment.

Chop your calabrese / broccoli into similar sized pieces and blanch in boiling water for two minutes then drain.

Dredge the chicken in cornflour and fry off in a little oil - just to cook the outside of it and get some brown going on. Take it out of the pan and set aside.

Mix the stock cubes with the mushroom stock and pour some boiling water over the peas to defrost them.

Put the onion, garlic and ginger in the pan and fry off. Add the calabrese / broccoli and the rehydrated mushroom and cook for 2 minutes. Add the chicken and then add the stock. Mix through and let cook.

In a hot frying pan or wok with a little oil, crack the eggs in and mix. When its nearly like smashed omlette, add the drained brown rice - mix through on the heat and add the peas. Add 1 tablespoon of dark soy , mix through and cook for a minute.

Put the rice in the bowl and put the chicken pieces on top. Spoon over the broccoli, mushroom and sauce mix.

Eat.