Living off some AA's

KatzenklavierKatzenklavier Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Your body requires 2500 Calories so you burn 10,460,000 Joules of energy every day; equivalent to 1,162 AA batteries. To give you an idea how much energy a Joule is, one camera flash uses about 10.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yep. The human body is very powerful.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Yep. The human body is very powerful.

The human mind is even more powerful.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Shit! I have to have nutrition drinks every day that contain the following:-

img01798201101160152.jpg

times that by 2 and that's 1 drink (200ml)
    Pretty scary to see how much energy I use etc.
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited January 2011
    That just reminds me of the matrix movies. the way the robots use humans as bateries.
  • LSA KingLSA King Regular
    edited January 2011
    JestA wrote: »
    That just reminds me of the matrix movies. the way the robots use humans as bateries.

Haha I came to say the same thing. There is unlimited energy potential on this planet. The hard part is harvesting that into something usable in todays world. If only it wasn't for our curse of greed we'd probably have expanded well beyond the potential we are capable of now a thousand years ago.
  • fr0st_Bytefr0st_Byte Sumpin' c00L
    edited January 2011
    LSA King wrote: »
    Haha I came to say the same thing. There is unlimited energy potential on this planet. The hard part is harvesting that into something usable in todays world. If only it wasn't for our curse of greed we'd probably have expanded well beyond the potential we are capable of now a thousand years ago.

The tidal motions of the sea is enough sustainable energy to last us forever if big oil companies didn't control the world.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    spazz wrote: »
    I totally thought of that on my own when i was 15.tidal power that is.

And for the personal power solution. if you live near a stream on a hill just divert the stream into some 8" PVC or metal pipe for a few hundred feet. bam, 100psi with tons of volume. enough for a few familys

Not really. If you want to calculate the potential energy in a stream:

head in meters x cubic meters per second x 0.55 (% of energy you could hope to extract) x 9.81 = energy in kilowats

You need good head and a big flow to generate electricity. This is not even factoring in the effciency of your turbine - a pelton wheel turbine can be 80 % effecient and the generator attached should be figured at being around 60% effcient.

Now, lets say 'a few' is three families. They want 2kw on tap at all times, so we need 6kw. If we work back wards

6 / 60 x 100 = energy coming from turbine = 10 kw

10 / 80 x 100 = energy going into turbine = 12.5 kw

12.5 / 9.81 / 0.55 = head x flow = 2.316

Say we have a clear vertical drop of 10m - which would require a lot of engineering work - digging a 10m vertical shaft an an unknown horizontal shaft to get rid of 'used' water.

2.316 / 10 = flow rate in cubic meters per second 0.2316

Say the stream is travelling at 1 meter per second - you would need a pipe 0.5m x 0.5m that would allways be full of water to generate the required electricity.

Its a massive amount of water to divert and a massive amount of engineering to undertake.