Woolly Mammoth To Be Resurrected

GallowsGallows Regular
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
"TOKYO (AFP) – Japanese researchers will launch a project this year to resurrect the long-extinct mammoth by using cloning technology to bring the ancient pachyderm back to life in around five years time.

The researchers will try to revive the species by obtaining tissue this summer from the carcass of a mammoth preserved in a Russian research laboratory, the Yomiuri Shimbun reported."

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/japansciencemammoth

This is not the first time this has been attempted: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3075381.stm

Comments

• edited January 2011
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    Scientists are working on bringing the Aurochs back as well, an ancient breed of cattle.

http://www.petermaas.nl/extinct/speciesinfo/aurochs.htm
    "We were able to analyse auroch DNA from preserved bone material and create a rough map of its genome that should allow us to breed animals nearly identical to aurochs," said team leader Donato Matassino, head of the Consortium for Experimental Biotechnology in Benevento, in the southern Campania region.

Aurochs-Harder.jpg
  • kfc v lotkfc v lot Regular
    edited January 2011
    Why?? To what end does this serve?

I am pretty sure they became extinct for a reason. Also once you take something out of an ecosystem generally you'll struggle to reintroduce it.

Ahh well I suppose if they can work out a way to recapture stray mammoths in small red and white balls we may be in luck.
  • edited January 2011
    It's pretty cool how they can do this kind of thing now. It reminds me of Jurassic Park, just a lot more real.
  • HellishHellish Regular
    edited January 2011
    Anyone see that spykids movie with the tiny animals? I want a tiny Woolly Mammoth.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited January 2011
    I hope that we can eat them.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    I can see wool stocks plummeting because of this.
    vozhde wrote: »
    I hope that we can eat them.

That's how we "lost" them in the first place. :angry:
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    It's alright, the Aurochs are being bred for food, eat them.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to mention Jurrasic Park so nobody else does. Ok, no more mentioning Jurrasic Park anymore.

This is where we get to the gold:

FLINTSTONES THEME PARK WITH REAL (NOT MECHANISED) ANIMALS
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    I can see wool stocks plummeting because of this.

That's how we "lost" them in the first place. :angry:

Are you suggesting that Mammoths were hunted into extinction with clubs, spears, and arrows?
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I just really hope they don't end up cloning dinosours and shit and somebody decides "hey I'll bring a few raptors to America for hunting". Fast foward a few years later and America is infested with prehistoric killing machines.
  • proudclod9proudclod9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    I just really hope they don't end up cloning dinosours and shit and somebody decides "hey I'll bring a few raptors to America for hunting". Fast foward a few years later and America is infested with prehistoric killing machines.

hey man..if you had a trained raptor though that would be the SHIT.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    I remember watching a documentary where they stated the mamoth more than likely died out due to a virus - they were doing research on remains found on a northern siberean island that they could only go to in the middle of summer. If a virus killed them then, it could kill them again in the future.

Aurochs would be cool. Not so far from me their is a wild herd of cattle that are very closely related to aurochs, but are much smaller. I have heard people say if the calves are interfered with and smell of humans, the cattle will desert or even kill them.

chillinghamcattle.jpg

When we had foot and mouth in the UK ten years ago, all access roads to where the cattle live were shut as were most of the roads around the perimeter.
    edited January 2011
    @dr rocker:

How many cattle did you guys end up losing over the mad cow thing? I remember reading about that at the time.
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    If they died by a virus before they would have no chance of living now. Disease and Viruses are 100's of times stronger than they were before.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited January 2011
    Around 200,000 slaughtered due to confirmed infection but it is reckoned maybe 500,000 with BSE entered the food chain. Near 5 million were slaughtered as part of the irradication plan where cattle over 30 months old had to be slaughtered and incinerated.

The thing with the BSE slaughtering was it was easy to manage. With the foot and mouth, any farm that had a confirmed infection had all animals slaughtered an incinerated on site and neighbouring farms had the animals slaughered on site and incinerated on infected farms. They used coal, diesel, old telegraph poles and timber to make the bonfires.

The UK was quite the BBQ for a number of weeks. If you went out of towns into the countryside you could not help but see and smell masive bonfires of sheep, cows and pigs.

On a side note, my Father was in the army in the '60's and we had FAM then. He was sent on a slaughter and incinerate duties - army rifle, couple of lorry loads of coal and logs and sent to infected farms to kill and burn everything.

The thing with FAM sites is they have a quarantine period on them - its something like 40 days I think - the family leaves the farm but the farmer has to stay to supervise the livestock being slaughtered. My father and his friend spent all day killing beast and set the fire away. His mate complained to the farmer that they had been working all day and he had not offered them a cup of tea.

'What do you expect' said the farmer 'My family is gone, you have slaughtered all of my beasts and all I have for company is the fucking dog'.

BANG.

His mate shot the dog and threw it on the fire.

I dont think they got the cup of tea.
    edited January 2011
    LOL@ dr rocker's dog ending.