Police kill man over a hose

DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
edited December 2010 in Spurious Generalities
LONG BEACH, Calif. – Angry relatives of a man shot to death by police who apparently mistook a pistol-grip water nozzle he held for a gun are lashing out at officers, saying they made no effort to contact him before opening fire.
However, police officials say Douglas Zerby's behavior prompted the officers' response.
"As the subject was in a seated position, he used a two-handed pistol-grip hold on an object with his arms fully extended," Long Beach Police Chief Jim McDonnell said. "Somebody that is impaired and waving what appears to witnesses and police to be a handgun. That's what the officers were faced with."
Zerby pointed it at one of the officers and two officers fired their weapons, a handgun and a shotgun. A total of eight shots were fired — two from shot guns and six from a handgun, McDonnell said.
Zerby's sister, Eden Marie Biele, said officers made no attempt to talk to her 35-year-old brother or get his attention before shooting him to death.
"They didn't say 'Put your hands up' or 'Freeze' or anything," Biele told The Associated Press Monday. "He was killed in cold blood."
Biele was among the family members whose sobs were heard among McDonnell's explanations of the events leading to Zerby's death on Sunday.
"This is a very unfortunate set of circumstances and leaves the family to deal with it here," McDonnell said, offering his condolences to the Zerby family.
The Long Beach officers were dispatched to an apartment building after two people reported a man with a gun sitting on a backyard porch landing, McDonnell said. In an excerpt of a 911 call played for reporters, a male caller said the man appeared to have a "tiny six-shooter."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101214/ap_on_re_us/us_water_nozzle_shooting_5

Be careful watering your lawn now. The cops may shoot you. Of course the cops will most likely only get a suspension even though they murdered a man for no reason.

Comments

• edited December 2010
    Yet another reason why I hate cops. Especially blind one's who can't tell the difference between a water nozzle and a fucking handgun. How many handguns have you seen which shoot out water :facepalm:
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    what the fuck. Those things look NOTHING LIKE A GUN. They have no muzzle. fucking fail.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited December 2010
    once had a cop in my hometown do something like this to me. Me and a few friends were popping firecrackers in the street. We don't notice cop and continue, then he pulls around the corner, we all jet and hide in the backyard of my friends house. my FAT friend gives up and talks to the cop,so cop searches the rest of the yard and my friend gets caught in the garage. I am hiding behind a tree, and leg got tired, so i switch legs and some leaves make noises, so the cop pulls a gun on me. I was only 16 at the time, and just playing with firecrackers. (was not the WORKS bombs this time) the way i see it, cops too paranoid or jumpy with their gun should not have one out on the field. :facepalm:
  • VickyVicky Regular
    edited December 2010
    We have the sense not to give the police in Britain guns, and they are just as bad. At student protests they've managed to give a kid brain damage and get caught on camera chucking a guy with cerebral palsy out of his wheelchair and dragging his across the road because he rolled towards them.

One of the few times we give them tasers they use it on a man with a gun pointed at his own head...in the rain.:facepalm:
  • JestAJestA Regular
    edited December 2010
    fanglekai wrote: »
    what the fuck. Those things look NOTHING LIKE A GUN. They have no muzzle. fucking fail.

seriously wtf?! a nozel from a garden hose looks nothing like a gun. i havnt seen any GUN that looks like that except in like startrek or other scifi movies.:confused:
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited December 2010
    Vicky wrote: »
    We have the sense not to give the police in Britain guns, and they are just as bad. At student protests they've managed to give a kid brain damage and get caught on camera chucking a guy with cerebral palsy out of his wheelchair and dragging his across the road because he rolled towards them.

One of the few times we give them tasers they use it on a man with a gun pointed at his own head...in the rain.:facepalm:

I saw the footage of that guy. Apparently he can't even push himself around :facepalm: Pretty fucked up.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited December 2010
    Vicky wrote: »

The wheel chair thing was kinda fucked up but the rest of those protesters deserved to be shot for desecrating the statue of Winston churchhill among other things. Get the fuck off this site you liberal cunt sack of shit. I spit upon the kid with brain damage. Liberals like you really do make me physically sick.