Sometimes things are not what they seem.

angryonionangryonion Just some guy
edited February 2011 in Man Cave
Today I had the opportunity too explore a fluid leak.
I thought it was just a simple seal leaking but was I wrong.
It looked like a transmission converter seal leak, so I pulled the trans out and this is what I found.
DSC03123-1.jpg
DSC03125.jpg
LOL, I have no clue what went banging around in there but a simple seal job turned into almost $4000.00 worth of pain.
Just thought I would share:D
It was a 2004 Mazda6 with a V6, Collage student with no money:facepalm:
I offered too try and seal the hole with some really cool E-poxy but with no warranty.

Comments

• 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited February 2011
    I don't understand....if it's just that hole, why not use a TIG welder and fill in the hole (assuming that's aluminum).
  • edited February 2011
    What do you figure was the root cause of the problem? Sorry, no motorhead skills, but I figure that is a part of an automatic transmission that abraded through it's housing due to some kind of severe misalignment. Could anything have been done if the problem was gotten to sooner?

C/O
    "tits or wheels"
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited February 2011
    13579 wrote: »
    I don't understand....if it's just that hole, why not use a TIG welder and fill in the hole (assuming that's aluminum).

We don't have a tig welder,shit I cant even get exhaust hoses or heat for Christ sake.
    I work for the cheapest bastard on the planet.
    edited February 2011
    What do you figure was the root cause of the problem? Sorry, no motorhead skills, but I figure that is a part of an automatic transmission that abraded through it's housing due to some kind of severe misalignment. Could anything have been done if the problem was gotten to sooner?

C/O
    "tits or wheels"

I think someone either replaced the transmission or did some major work too the car before me and dropped something in the bell housing and or both I have no clue.
    I'll know more tomorrow.
  • 1357913579 Death Cog Machine
    edited February 2011
    angryonion wrote: »
    We don't have a tig welder,shit I cant even get exhaust hoses or heat for Christ sake.
    I work for the cheapest bastard on the planet.

Have a friend who does, or friends with anyone who works in a machine shop? How about an aluminum wirefeed?

Other than that...fiberglass? that'd be strong.

Epoxy would probably hold...
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    13579 wrote: »

Epoxy would probably hold...

Long enough to trade it in anyway, that metal putty stuff is pretty good.

In all honesty, the way to go if it was mine would be a new 'box or setting it on fire. You have damage like that in one area, its a good bet the rest of the car will be a shed.
    edited February 2011
    JB welded it,I'm letting it sit overnight too let it cure.
    I told the girl to get rid of it asap,just not at my store:)
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited February 2011
    Any news on what you think was loose in there?
    edited February 2011
    The jb weld worked just fine no more leak,as for what fell down in there I have no clue.
    Mission accomplished on to next problem.