Could The Government Really Shut Down Facebook?

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
This is just another baby step towards removing our freedom of information, expression, and speech. The government wants to control what you read and where you read it. This is just one small chip at our our freedom to decide what we read and where we read it.

Source
Will you watch the video and donate $5 or $10 so we can continue our work? You can donate using ActBlue or PayPal at right. The scope of the threat to Internet freedom is astounding:
  • Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) have been seizing domain names without due process: they shut down 84,000 sites by accident last month, and government officials think ICE and DHS are claiming powers that would even let them shut down Facebook.
Industries with deep pockets can pay people big bucks to shill for them in Washington. Your pockets might not be as deep, but there are hundreds of thousands of you, and we need your support so we can keep fighting back.Will you donate $5 or $10 to Demand Progress so we can continue our work?
If you think this can't happen it already has. Here is a link to the complaint in this case.

Source
Breaking: Newly Obtained Homeland Security Documents Reveal Radical Shift In Internet Policy

FIGHT BACK: Internet user arrested for linking to other websites.

Brian McCarthy ran a website, channelsurfing.net, that linked to various sites where you could watch online streams of TV shows and sports networks. A couple months ago, the government seized his domain name and on Friday they arrested him and charged him with criminal copyright infringement -- punishable by five years in prison.
We just obtained a copy of the complaint (below) that the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) made against him -- and they don't even allege that he made a copy of anything! Just that he ran what they call a "linking website" which linked to various sites with copyrighted material. Under that sort of thinking, everyone who's sent around a link to a copyrighted YouTube video is a criminal.
This is another shocking overreach by DHS and ICE -- a steamship-era department that's proving once again that it doesn't understand the Internet. We need to push back -- and fast -- before they try to lock up more Americans.
PETITION TO JANET NAPOLITANO, DIRECTOR OF HOMELAND SECURITY, AND JOHN MORTON, DIRECTOR OF IMMIGRATION AND CUSTOMS ENFORCEMENT: There's nothing wrong or illegal about posting a link to a website. This is another shocking overreach by DHS and ICE: You need to drop the charges against Brian McCarthy right away.
Just sign on by filling out the form at right -- we'll deliver the petition to DHS and ICE later this month.

Boys and girls it is time to wake up and take back the country that the lazy baby boomers gave to their corporate masters. Contact your representatives and tell them, "Awww, fuck no, it ain't gonna happen on our watch motherfucker!"

Comments

• PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited March 2011
    Fuck the goverment:angry::angry::angry:
    UPRISING!!
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    If the powers that be keep pushing in the direction they have been for the last 200+ years there will be blood in the streets of America before 2020.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited March 2011
    At&t bout T-mobile

that right there says they are combining

forces to keep your mind plugged in

to what they want you to read, watch, and listen.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    I don't give a flying fuck if they shut down facebook. It would mean the retards keep themselves to themselves, people would soon realise nobody cares about the latest clothes and see the Sun again.

If the internet got shut down then we will have to go back to old-school piracy. Pass round CDs and other media. I did it to great effect right up to last year with mates.
    edited March 2011
    It is not a matter of FB, it is a matter of the government suppressing information and how it is shared.
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited March 2011
    Fuck your freedom
    edited March 2011
    I dont understand this idea that the masses have a right to freedoms. The very freedoms you love are the main reason this country has gone to shit. When you allow the ignorant masses to control a countries destiny it is doomed to fail.

QFT. Everyone needs their own planet.

/thread.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    The federal government can "legally" do pretty much whatever the fuck it wants in the name of fighting terrorism with the patriot act.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited March 2011
    Take facebook down? The government would never take facebook down because it's their main source of information for fucking up someone's perfectly good day. :mad:
    The closing of innocent sites & threats of jail for their owners are more an implementation of fear. Leaders have been ruling with fear for hundreds of years and today is no different.
    Fuck the System! :angry:
  • theGeneraltheGeneral Regular
    edited March 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    Take facebook down? The government would never take facebook down because it's their main source of information for fucking up someone's perfectly good day. :mad:
    The closing of innocent sites & threats of jail for their owners are more an implementation of fear. Leaders have been ruling with fear for hundreds of years and today is no different.
    Fuck the System! :angry:
    The government is perfectly capable of getting the information they need without Facebook. That being said though, I don't think they would close FB anyway, they'd probably just take control over it.
    edited March 2011
    theGeneral wrote: »
    That being said though, I don't think they would close FB anyway, they'd probably just take control over it.
    They already have bro. :p
    edited March 2011
    I dont understand this idea that the masses have a right to freedoms. The very freedoms you love are the main reason this country has gone to shit. When you allow the ignorant masses to control a countries destiny it is doomed to fail.

What gives you the idea that the government (a small handful of people) have the right/freedom to tell everyone else how to live?
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    I thought the gubment was Facebook. why wiretap when everyone gives it all away with consent.
  • edited April 2011
    Lordbucket wrote: »
    I thought the gubment was Facebook. why wiretap when everyone gives it all away with consent.

Yeah, you're right. The government runs Facebook, as it's basically a giant database of information on everybody. Fuckers :mad:
    edited April 2011
    Exactly. :thumbsup: Wealth of resource in the governments favour.
    If I owned a facebook account I may as well ring my local police station whenever I wanna go out & tell them where I'm going and what time I'll be home. It's a sad but true reality . :(
    edited April 2011
    If I owned a facebook account I may as well ring my local police station whenever I wanna go out & tell them where I'm going and what time I'll be home. It's a sad but true reality . :(
    word_gangsta_granny1.jpg

Couldn't have said it better myself.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited April 2011
    ain't this the fucking truth, especially with some if the info people post on fb about what their plans are
    edited April 2011
    I think the part of the Government that wants to shutdown Facebook doesn't realize how the shadow part uses it to watch people.
  • LordbucketLordbucket Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    [ame=" - Teaser: TheAntiTerrorist on Romancing the Data[/ame]
    edited April 2011
    edited April 2011

Normally I would discourage the posting of single image or video in this section without some commentary relating to the OP on the part of the user. But this was spot on the money, nice video which pretty much says it all about FB. :thumbsup: