Attn: Trx100

buddhabuddha Regular
edited March 2011 in Tech & Games
Can you post a "dpkg -l" from your backtrack installation?

I want to see what all is installed with BT4

Comments

• edited March 2011
    Alright, here's what shows up when I run the command from my laptop. It's pretty much the same installation as the one on my desktop, but I can't use that right now as I'm currently on Winblows ;)

Here are the results of running dpkg -l on Backtrack Linux.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Cool, thank you.

I just am not seeing the need to install BT when I can just use the same tools in Debian.

COMPILING SOURCE CODE FTW!!! not really. :D
  • edited March 2011
    That's awesome. You should make a list of all the tools which you actually need, and make a guide regarding installing the tools into another distro like you're doing. I'd quite like a guide on doing it :)
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    That's awesome. You should make a list of all the tools which you actually need, and make a guide regarding installing the tools into another distro like you're doing. I'd quite like a guide on doing it :)

I think I can manage that. Also a good idea.

Going to be a while though, because that's a fuckload of tools.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I should just make a Debian based security distro.
  • KraneKrane Regular
    edited March 2011
    THC Hydra is a bitch to install since it's so out of date now, Metasploit and a lot of the others have .deb packages or compiling instructions if you look at the sites though.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited March 2011
    Just found out my Laptop's wireless is dodgy as fuck with Backtrack 4, even r2. Pissed off :( Sattelite L-500 if anyone can give me a n00b guide. I was thinking of installing BT on a partition but don't want to risk anything.
    Sorry, /hijack
  • edited March 2011
    RemadE wrote: »
    Just found out my Laptop's wireless is dodgy as fuck with Backtrack 4, even r2. Pissed off :( Sattelite L-500 if anyone can give me a n00b guide. I was thinking of installing BT on a partition but don't want to risk anything.
    Sorry, /hijack

Tried installing some MadWiFI drivers?
    edited March 2011
    I need to install BT so that I can install the drivers. Shame I am too much of a pussy to risk it :( :hai:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Krane wrote: »
    THC Hydra is a bitch to install since it's so out of date now, Metasploit and a lot of the others have .deb packages or compiling instructions if you look at the sites though.

Should make my life easier.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I need to install BT so that I can install the drivers. Shame I am too much of a pussy to risk it :( :hai:

What are you using now?
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    What are you using now?

Windoze 7. I'm just afraid I'll lose my data as Ihave a lifetime of music downloads and a lot of Uni work. I back it up, but still..
    : paranoid:
  • orochiorochi New Arrival
    edited March 2011
    Alright, here's what shows up when I run the command from my laptop. It's pretty much the same installation as the one on my desktop, but I can't use that right now as I'm currently on Winblows ;)

Here are the results of running dpkg -l on Backtrack Linux.

that looks like some of it got cut off. try "dpkg -l > dpkg.txt" to put the whole thing into a text file.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    Windoze 7. I'm just afraid I'll lose my data as Ihave a lifetime of music downloads and a lot of Uni work. I back it up, but still..
    : paranoid:

You could store it on an external hard drive (or two if you're really paranoid) while you update your computer.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    orochi wrote: »
    that looks like some of it got cut off. try "dpkg -l > dpkg.txt" to put the whole thing into a text file.

you are correct, missing quite a bit of the first part.

Hadn't started on it yet. So I didn't notice. :facepalm: <--That's for me.
  • KraneKrane Regular
    edited March 2011
    Or just run Backtrack from a USB Pendrive.
    edited March 2011
    You could store it on an external hard drive (or two if you're really paranoid) while you update your computer.

I back it all up my my many TB external hard drives and might give it a go tonight. Sorry to hijack. Does anyone know a decent walkthrough on how to install/partition? The ones I've seen so far don't bode well with my intoxicated state.
  • edited March 2011
    I back it all up my my many TB external hard drives and might give it a go tonight. Sorry to hijack. Does anyone know a decent walkthrough on how to install/partition? The ones I've seen so far don't bode well with my intoxicated state.

Just crack in the Backtrack disc and use GParted to partition your drive. When you start installing Backtrack, it will walk you through the partitioning :) Also, make sure you defrag your Windows partition before you start otherwise you might corrupt something.
    edited March 2011
    Just crack in the Backtrack disc and use GParted to partition your drive. When you start installing Backtrack, it will walk you through the partitioning :) Also, make sure you defrag your Windows partition before you start otherwise you might corrupt something.

Sounds good.
    Oh, one problem - BT4 doesn't seem to support my laptop screen. I turn it on and can't see the screen unless I plug it into an external monitor. Just found it out when messing around :confused:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Sounds good.
    Oh, one problem - BT4 doesn't seem to support my laptop screen. I turn it on and can't see the screen unless I plug it into an external monitor. Just found it out when messing around :confused:

What graphics card and monitor?
    edited March 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    What graphics card and monitor?

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5145 is my graphics card. It's a laptop so the monitor is Toshiba like the lappie itself. The monitor it has to be plugged into is via a 12-pin cable and is a Sony HD one. I have some ideas though so will give them a go.