Earth hour.

buddhabuddha Regular
edited March 2011 in Life
In case you don't know what it is...

Everyone is supposed to turn off their lights for one hour, in the name of energy conservation.
The organizers behind the fifth annual Earth Hour urged people to turn off lights and other nonessential appliances in a symbolic show of support for action against climate change and for energy conservation in general.

In 2010, 128 countries and territories took part in Earth Hour. Eighty-nine national capitals participated, as did nine of the world's ten biggest cities, thousands of other communities, countless businesses, and hundreds of millions of individuals, according to WWF, the international conservation nonprofit that organizes Earth Hour.

Earth Hour 2011 was even larger, said organizers, who called Earth Hour 2011 "a record breaking year for the annual lights-out event."

earth-hour-2011-rio-de-janeiro-during_33733_600x450.jpg
earth-hour-2011-athens-during_33725_600x450.jpg

I guess a lot of these places didn't get the memo.

You can see more of the lights out/on pics HERE.

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited March 2011
    lol it's a conspiracy by electric companies to save money :o

But seriously, it's a nice gesture that only has benefits :hai:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I really don't see it making a HUGE difference, maybe if everyone (or most) people actually turned off ALL the lights. Like that pic above, Just the lights around the Christ the Redeemer statue? That isn't going to do shit.
  • edited March 2011
    It's not really going to conserve THAT much energy, is it? Interesting idea though, but I dunno - I didn't even know about it :facepalm:
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited March 2011
    They have Earth Hour every night all night in the DPRK.

korea-by-night.jpg
  • Ad NauseamAd Nauseam Acolyte
    edited March 2011
    South Korea looks like it's covered in semen.

Am I the only one who has never heard of Earth hour? Still maybe I'll mention it when I feel like pissing people off in an unnecessary argument.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Ad Nauseam wrote: »
    South Korea looks like it's covered in semen.

Am I the only one who has never heard of Earth hour? Still maybe I'll mention it when I feel like pissing people off in an unnecessary argument.

Or when someone is pissing you off, mention that it is earth hour, and they need to shut their computer off.
  • edited March 2011
    The pseudo-pagan appeasement of Mother Earth with an annual sacrifice of a kilowatt or two of electricity amuses me. Obviously last year's offerings were too meagre; Japan angered her the most.
  • dr rockerdr rocker Regular
    edited March 2011
    korea-by-night.jpg

LOL

ulvtz.png

Had never noticed that before. Both are full of strange looking people who talk funny. People from Cornwall are nuts, they will want to behed me or something.

With regard to the topic, it is nice when you are out somewhere away from towns and cities at night and you can see the light clearer. I do not see the point of the lights full stop, what ever the situation we will learn and adapt to it, turn the lights off and let us live once again under the stars.

Cunts even took that from us.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    This is a political statement to raise awareness, I don't think its intended to save all that much energy.
    edited March 2011
    This is a political statement to raise awareness, I don't think its intended to save all that much energy.

That is why it is pointless. If it meant anything real, they would turn the lights off all the time.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    Raising awareness towards a fossil-fuel addicted society is fine, I agree that there isn't really much good being done by this though.
    edited March 2011
    Raising awareness towards a fossil-fuel addicted society is fine, I agree that there isn't really much good being done by this though.

I am yet to see a link between the rise in global temperature and the increase in carbon dioxide that can properly show global warming; that is not to say no such link exists, but it it is just a correlation/ causation theory that relies heavily on 100 years worth of data when we are actually dealing with cycles that may only pattern at 100,000 - 1 million years that w ehave done relativly little research into.

The reason that science is at pains to prove such a theory based on evidence from what is, in its field, a comparativly small time period is because they are getting payed to review the same old data and data analysis.

Of course they will review it if they get payed to do so. If they can make money from it, then why not?

Having said that, science has made some pretty good discoveries.

It is up to you to weigh up the good and the bad; man can make arguments for any point of view.
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm not arguing global warming, polluting our planet is not a great idea no matter what you believe. Would you agree?