Andriod police scanner app

7he7ru7h7he7ru7h Semo-Regulars
edited May 2011 in Man Cave
This can be used for a variety of bad ideas, my friends and I enjoy driving around smoking blunts and listening to people we hate get arrested, feels good man, but it can also be extremely useful just throw one earbud in and know what the pigs is up to at all times
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/entertainment/scanner-radio_gler.html

Comments

• MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited May 2011
    They don't have the scanners for my area :mad:
  • Willy WonkaWilly Wonka Acolyte
    edited May 2011
    okay, this is dumb.

first off, a portable scanner is $100, which is automatically cheaper than an android anything. Catch it on sale, or have a friend who works at radioshack, $80 or less.

Secondly, a lot of these scanner streams have a 15 minute delay, making it useless for any "bad ideas".

One advantage to your idea is that in most cases and places, committing a crime with a scanner is another charge in and of itself, while a cellphone is not.

what you COULD do is...

buy a scanner, set it up at home.

Set it up with a phone that can auto answer. (most cellphones can do this)

Take another phone, possibly a disposable one, and call your scanner/phone.

and if anyone catches you, just hang up.
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited May 2011
    okay, this is dumb.

first off, a portable scanner is $100, which is automatically cheaper than an android anything. Catch it on sale, or have a friend who works at radioshack, $80 or less.

Secondly, a lot of these scanner streams have a 15 minute delay, making it useless for any "bad ideas".

One advantage to your idea is that in most cases and places, committing a crime with a scanner is another charge in and of itself, while a cellphone is not.

what you COULD do is...

Could work
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    okay, this is dumb.

what you COULD do is...

Seems like a plan, however I would add the Internet aspect to it and make things easier. If the scanner can be connected to a system you can easily operate it via Internet.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited May 2011
    There's an Android app that updates you with a list of positions where the police have set up speed checking and alcohol testing stations. The data is generated by the users.

It's in legal limbo right now, but you can find it on the web.
  • PsychoDelicPsychoDelic Regular
    edited May 2011
    They have an iPod version right?
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited May 2011
    There's an Android app that updates you with a list of positions where the police have set up speed checking and alcohol testing stations. The data is generated by the users.

It's in legal limbo right now, but you can find it on the web.
    There's one like that for iPhone called Trapster. I haven't tried it yet but I've heard that it works really well.
  • edited May 2011
    heheheheh this is cool, but I feel like since your phones can be used to pinpoint your location it's not so ideal...