"Belief in God is partof Human nature" - news

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited June 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Pretty interetsing news story here. I have always thought the same thing, as Religion was possibly used to explain the unexplainable. Then again, taking psychedelics has opened me up to that world anyway.
Humans are naturally predisposed to believe in gods and life after death, according to a major three-year international study.

Led by two academics at Oxford University, the £1.9 million study found that human thought processes were “rooted” to religious concepts.

But people living in cities in highly developed countries were less likely to hold religious beliefs than those living a more rural way of life, the researchers found.

Source.

Views?

Comments

• DfgDfg Admin
    edited May 2011
    Common sense? You don't need to conduct a major study to see this anyway. We always rely on GOD in one way or another if there was another entity that masses beleived in, we would be calling it's name. In short, we're just pathetic fucks who are insecure about themselves and must believe in something such as good and evil otherwise our lives would be empty and incomplete.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited June 2011
    From what I've been lead to believe, God was not always a part of human nature. Very early groups of humans did not believe in any deity whatsoever. Death was the end of it...

Will post more later. Off to do some research. Quite a fascinating topic really.
  • edited June 2011
    FON wrote: »
    From what I've been lead to believe, God was not always a part of human nature. Very early groups of humans did not believe in any deity whatsoever. Death was the end of it...

What do you mean by "very early groups of humans"?
  • MasturbatronMasturbatron Regular
    edited June 2011
    What do you mean by "very early groups of humans"?

Lizard people?
  • FONFON Regular
    edited June 2011
    Actually, I was wrong. What I should have said was the concept of an afterlife wasn't always consistent in human belief. My mistake in thinking this implied they didn't believe in God/Gods.

And 'very early groups of humans' was also incredibly vague and off the mark. I should have said in certain civilizations/groups/what have you. It was by no means global...But considering my initial statement was plain incorrect, its all sort of irrelevant anyway.

My bad.
  • SemSem Regular
    edited June 2011
    From what I remember from my anthropology class some of the earliest signs of spirituality was found with Neanderthals in relation to their burial methods and the Cult of the Cave bear.

The former consisted of sites were skeletal remains were found to have been buried with artifacts such as tools, weapons, and cosmetic items that were not damaged at the time of entombment. There are also cases of bodies buried together hinting at relationships between the dead ranging from siblings, mother and child, and even owner and pet.

While there's no way to be completely sure at this time what they were thinking when they did this it does show a possibility that they were burying their dead with these artifacts and their companions with the thought that perhaps it would affect their afterlife.

The case of the Cult of the Cave Bear on the other hand consists of several sites ranging in Europe in which up to twenty bear skulls were found in unearthed human habitats and arranged in a way that is believed to have had some sort of meaning to the inhabitants.

So yes, people have been spiritual for a very long time. Technically anatomically modern day humans are not descended from Neanderthals, we're more like their younger cousins, but one gets the general idea that our ancestors did not lead purely material lives.
  • MarineBoatMarineBoat Regular
    edited June 2011
    The irony is that we evolved this way! :facepalm:
    Lizard people?
    Brown lizard people.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited June 2011
    "You never see animals going through the absurd and often horrible fooleries of magic and religion. Only man behaves with such gratuitous folly. It is the price he has to pay for being intelligent but not, as yet, quite intelligent enough." - Aldous Huxley
  • edited June 2011
    Societies who have unifying belief systems are conferred a selective advantage over those groups of individuals who do not possess them. Whilst divine belief systems are the least rational, their beneficial contribution to the stabilization of early human society cannot be underestimated.
  • FONFON Regular
    edited June 2011
    beneficial contribution to the stabilization of early human society cannot be underestimated.

Dostoyevsky (I think it was) puts it well...Something along the lines of 'even if god does not exist, it was absolutely necessary for man to create him'.