Who else can solve a Rubiks Cube?

I've been able to solve a Rubiks Cube for about 4 years now, but only recently have I started learning a faster method to complete it. I've also taught a couple of people during this time which was pretty cool, but I was just wondering how many Totseans can complete a 3x3 Rubiks Cube?

If you can complete it, which method do you use and why? When I learned, I did so with a variation of the beginners method which was by far the easiest method (hence the name). About 3 weeks ago I decided to learn the Friedrich method which involves solving the first two layers at the same time (F2L) dramatically cutting times down.

I'm still trying to perfect this method as finding F2L pairs was a bit confusing to begin with, but I've got that sorted now. All I need to learn now is a faster way of doing the last layer. I really want to learn something called "one-look OLL", which is where you solve the last layer using one algorithm.

Tl;dr - Who else knows how to solve the 3x3 cube and which method do you use?

Comments

• edited July 2011
    I either smash them and piece them back together or peel the stickers off and reorder them.

I cry myself to sleep every time I hear either one of those two things :( Those poor rubiks cubes. Why destroy something so fun, especially when you can solve it in a couple minutes anyway?

:'(
  • TheWitchDoctorTheWitchDoctor Regular
    edited July 2011
    I've never been able to do one. Last I tried was as a kid without any guides though. I've always wanted to try again but I never see them for sale :(
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    Rubiks cubes annoy me, and I dont really have the patience, interest or attention span to ever complete one. Same with Sudoku!
  • edited July 2011
    I've never been able to do one. Last I tried was as a kid without any guides though. I've always wanted to try again but I never see them for sale :(

Check Ebay, that's where I got mine from. They're super cheap as well :) When you get it, look on Youtube for tutorials. That's how I learned it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited July 2011
    I love them but I can't solve them. They're confusing as fuck most of the time and it seems you need to spend some good amount of time to fucking solve them. Kudos to your for working them out. Not many can do it.
  • DadaLifeDadaLife Semo-Regulars
    edited July 2011
    I do it too, I complete one side then put that side face down so it would be facing my palm. I then solve the middle row of the cube before finishing the top face.
  • edited July 2011
    DadaLife wrote: »
    I do it too, I complete one side then put that side face down so it would be facing my palm. I then solve the middle row of the cube before finishing the top face.

Ahh that's the way I originally learned. Now I can solve the first face/layer with it on the bottom. It's quicker as you don't have to turn the cube around.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited July 2011
    I either smash them and piece them back together or peel the stickers off and reorder them.

^^ That's how I roll with those infernal devices.:mad:
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited July 2011
    I just found an online cube solver :o
  • xbcnfujvxbcnfujv Regular
    edited July 2011
    nope.

what's the genius secret behind to solving one?
  • edited July 2011
    xbcnfujv wrote: »
    nope.

what's the genius secret behind to solving one?

There are a shit load of different ways to solve it, but it's all about doing it layer by layer. It's a common misconception that you complete it face by face, which would be pretty impossible. All you've gotta do is learn some algorithms and you can do it easily.
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited July 2011
    DadaLife wrote: »

This
  • jarkofjarkof Regular
    edited July 2011
    Step 1: attempt for 5 minutes
    Step 2: get pissed and through cube
    Step 3: attempt to start mass suicide so I don't go out alone
    Step 4: ???
    Step 5: Profit