Collect raw opium from poppy pods [Published]

RemadERemadE Global Moderator
edited January 2012 in Spurious Generalities
You will need:
  • 2 days or more
  • Small, sharp pointed knife.
  • Some Poppies (the best species are Papaver somniferum, the main "umbrella" species of poppy containing Opium). They must be alive to allow the capillary action of the latex opium to seep out. If they are not then there are other ways to make Opium which I'll explain in another guide.
  • Metal container or foil to keep the Opium latex on

Intro:
Ok so first off, why 2 days? Well the poppy pods you will score let out what's known as "Opium latex" in crude terms. A white, sticky (oi, no innuendos) substance that has to dry, and is then raw Opium. Of course, leaving it to dry takes up to..you guess it, a while. It's best to leave it overnight to harden as the temperatures drop and then scrape the black tarry substance off the pods and stem the next day.

Day 1:
So, you will need
  • Your poppies and their pods. Make sure they're at a nice size. The best time to harvest is just after the leaves fall off so the process is restarted and latex is being produced again.
  • A good weather forecast. Rain? Fuck it. Leave it until you have a decent day where your poppy pods won't be washed clean overnight.
  • Sharp knife.

Step 1
Best to do this in the late morning as it gives them a day and night to recover.
Go up to your poppies and grab a pod. Now the most important thing that I can stress to you is only score the pods! Do not cut into them as the latex will seep back in you've wasted some. See the attached picture to see just how thin the poppy pod walls are, and how lightly you have to score the pods. After a few, you get used to it.
jkB4qxFfMxRQR3Bt46qSGfmcYu6388OV2cT6.jpg

This is your typical poppy. In this case, it's also an Opium poppy. Go figure.

You need a good amount of poppies if you're looking at a bigger harvest. I just found all this out from trial and error, and only harvest about a pinkie-fingernails worth of raw opium, but it's a nice evening smoke when I've got a free schedule.

In order to score your pods, you will need to learn how to measure a milimeter or so. Literally, you don't need to cut them, just lightly score the outer coating as you can see below.
ZWCA5CvT51DDJdu6Mk9FcBEfVA5AifWP2Gu2.jpg

Scoring a poppy while holding a fatass camera wasn't easy

5Mxy9M8tN8d3UVqh0tWdS5iK1eGuqvpl36NP.jpg

What happens on the left, if you cut too deep. The latex (the Opium goodness) will seep inside the pod and you're left with fuck all. Look on the right at the red line and that's about how deep you should score, if not shallower.

Ok, scored your pods? You may get more or less latex than I did, but this is the basic jist of it
K03ffWt6IF8RO2qzz7Uj0A5Pm2I45Yqfdey1.jpg

0Kh3X4CMhRtz8e7166Z0D2735v92tp1SRVVI.jpg

This is what you want to get. The second image was one I rescored after a few days.
Now leave it. Waste the day away, go fap, whatever. Just leave them. If you touch the seepy white liquid then you've fucked that pod up.

Day 2:
Return to your pods with the same knife and something to keep the sticky, now black tarry substance into. I use a little metal serving dish as it doesn't stick to the side as much, and if it does, it soon crumbles off. Failing that, a 3" x 3" square of tin foil. I figure if you're smoking off it, then what harm is it to collect it directly onto it?

Approach the pods and hold your collection method close.
w9WFbBXg87AkP4kAJyg15ET8Zqv39EK108p1.jpg

sZFtL5mUW3W1mJX8q35f62WP54jQSw89TvTH.jpg

CukP5aHXvmL2bFZYbiRf5h0o7Fc7l57p737e.jpg

Dried raw opium that is on the pod, a severed stem and leaf if it drips down.

Gently, gently scrape the raw opium off the pod, onto the side of the knife, and place onto the foil/into the bowl. This is raw opium (assuming you've done your research and gotten the right sort of poppies).
Do this for all the pods. And tar that can be scraped, do it, but don't go overboard and damage the pods. It's sticky shit, so avoid getting it on your fingers.

Now, you can either lightly rescore the pods, or let them recover for a few days. I prefer to let them recover.

Depending on the amount of poppies you have, you will get a different amount. The photo is a what I got from about 12 poppies in one go. Raw, but still smokable.
76k0Ah7he32u1uun6x5y8C80hG878lvxb434.jpg

And how to consume?
Well you can refine it, yes. It's not a lot of effort but takes time. If like me, you were curious and had a night where you weren't going to get constipated doing it, then let the final product dry and chip off a few crumbs (you soon learn the potency) and put it into a slightly "U" shaped square of foil. Just so that you don't manage to somehow tip the opium off the foil, hence the slight dip.
After this you can either use a tin foil tube (like a tin foil cigarette) or biro tube. Personally I used half a 2L bottle as you suck up more smoke.
Put the crumbs of opium in the middle of the foil and put the cap-end of the top half of the bottle held into your mouth, hold a lighter under the foil and prepare for it to start bubbling almost instantly! Ths smoke is acrid but manageable (heck, I did it first time with unrefined opium that had plant matter in) and you feel the effects about 40-60 seconds after exhale. Expect itches, but a good, chill nod or sense of dopamine-overload positivity. Go have a bath or mong out under the stars. The smoke smells acrid and pretty grim, so I advise you do it alone - which also adds to the Junkie persona stereotype.
Have fun, and don't be a dickhead about it. This drug can and will own you if you aren't careful. I had a 6 year Opiate addiction, so treat it with respect.

Sources:
  • The CIA website (seriously. those fuckers give you enough rope to hang yourself with when it comes to making drugs and bombs)
  • My first point of contact for how I learnt: www.drugs-forum.com

Post-note:
Watch out for my "how to refine Opium" guide.
Version 1.0
28/7/2011

Comments

• edited August 2011
    Your images aren't loading for me so I can't add this to the CMS :'( How come you're not using Uloadr?

As for the guide... What an absolute stonker! Yes, that's the good kind of stonker, not the smelly kind. The best part is, I know exactly where to get these from if I ever feel the need. Brilliant guide :thumbsup:
  • DaktologistDaktologist Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    I found a couple of poppy plants growing in my yard when I moved into this place, the things self seed each season.
  • jamie madroxjamie madrox Sith Lord
    edited August 2011
    Very well written guide, needs working pics though
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    Very well written guide, needs working pics though

They work for me :confused: what's it like at your end?

Edit: All reuploaded to uLoadr. Read away, Gents. Read away :cool:
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    I can't see any of the pictures either. If you want I can save the pictures from the source and upload them to the server and reinsert them into the guide.

EDIT: Nevermind, they're up now.
  • RemadERemadE Global Moderator
    edited August 2011
    To be honest I thought BAYimg was a more secure host (they like their "uncensored" tagline) but evidently it's only good for when you host images on TPB. I'll stick with uLoadr and always keep the deletion links handy in case of anything. If we could upload here to the &T servers that'd be awesome, but I realise the potential for abuse.
    Now...what guide next? How to refine it? Hmm. Such little time I have these days :(
  • thewandererthewanderer Regular
    edited August 2011
    Taken From: Better Living Through Chemistry
  • GoingNowhereGoingNowhere Global Moderator
    edited January 2012
    Taken from Chemical Imbalance Towers as a How-To article.