The Tampa Bay Buccaneers conspiracy

juggjugg Regular
edited October 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I'm a Bucs fan. Yes they have a tendency to suck, but its the lot I'm stuck with.

There is a theory floating around that the team is going to be moved to the U.K

here are the reasons why.

1. The owners of the Bucs are the same people that own Man U

2. The NFL wants to have team in city s that sell out on a regular basis. The bucs haven't been selling out for the last season and a half.

3. The Glazers aren't spending any money on the Bucs. One of the theories is the owners arent spending any money so people wont go to the games so the team will have to move.They used to buy the remaing tickets so there were no black outs. Not anymore. Not spending any money what so ever on free agency, to make the team better is a huge tell. There's also problems with the conciseness at the stadium all of the sudden.

4. Here is the nail in the coffin at least for me. The bucs have had two games there. Then NFL is asking a team to permently have one home game there a year. Which ever team gets this game is probably going to be the team that will move. It only makes sense to have the team which has this game to move to the U.K. that way they have allready built up the fan base.

It seems to me like as a bucs fan the writing is on the wall.

To all the U.K totseans

If you do get the bucs I will be relived in a way. I wont have to pull my hair out every year in frustration. They have to be one of the damned frustating sports teams to root for I have ever followed..besides the Browns...

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011
    I feel your pain as a Browns fan. This whole scenario reminds of the movie Major League. If they move one team to Europe they will have to move a second team to create a rivalry in the hearts of the European fan base. That would leave two more U.S. markets open with L.A. having been vacant since the Rams left. the only long ter viable solution is for a total of eight European NFL Franchises to create two new divisions. Call them Euro west and Euro East for the sake of this conversation. Then you have to expand 4 divisions in the US market, two in the NFC and two in the AFC to fill the 3 holes in the US market and still keep an even number of teams in the conferences.

In the above scenario that means 10 new teams over a period of time. there is already a talent shortage at key positions such as QB, WR, TE, and RB, and really at most positions. This would either water down the level of play or seriously threaten parody.

Now lets look at the labor aspect of this. All current NFL franchises are currently contracted to their players under US labor laws. NFL expansion into the European market would require some tricky assed contact renegotiation that would please both the payers union and the owners and at the same time meet the requirements of labor laws in multiple nations.

I believe that this is what the NFL wants to do but I see it a very difficult thing for them to achieve without fundamentally changing the sport in a fashion that could possibly alienate the largest existing sports fan base on the planet.
  • Rumple ForeskinRumple Foreskin Regular
    edited October 2011
    would american football really be able to stand a chance in europe? I use to live over seas and American football is not something that people really give a shit about. I was actually at the first football game in sdyney australia and even though the place was packed, it was because it was a one time event. I think that the game in the u.k. this weekend was in the same vein.
  • juggjugg Regular
    edited October 2011
    would american football really be able to stand a chance in europe? I use to live over seas and American football is not something that people really give a shit about. I was actually at the first football game in sdyney australia and even though the place was packed, it was because it was a one time event. I think that the game in the u.k. this weekend was in the same vein.

I agree with you .I don't think it would be able to sustain over a season. That's why they are starting one game a year, and I heard that they will add two next year and etc..
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited October 2011

I can't really speak to the way the average European views NFL games but if it any thing like the way the average American views soccer then the NFL does not stand a snowball's chance in hell of long term, large scale success in Europe.