why I've given up on desktop Linux.

SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator-__-
edited August 2012 in Spurious Generalities
Over the past months I've stopped enjoying Linux. I've been using it, but without enthusiasm. As of a few days ago, I’ve removed it on my laptop and installed Windows7.

This is not going to be the irate ramblings of a tech idiot. I've been using Linux since i was 13, starting with Fedora Core 1 and have moved my way across the top 10 distros in distrowatch. I've taken Systems Programming courses, this means C and kernel level apis. I have the accumulated experience of about about 8 years of desktop Linux. I've concluded it's not worth the effort.

The main reason I’ve given it up is because I need to work with people. I need to exchange documents, connect to projectors, use badly configured networks and use oddball windows applications.

Why did i start using Linux? Because i was bored. I was a high school kid with nothing to do. All i had to worry about then was opening up .doc files and i was set. That's not true any more.

I now need to use MATLAB (i know there is a Unix version; it supports Linux, but its buggy and only there because of the mac.), Simulink, labview, mathematica and other fly-by-night apps that pop-up occasionlly. I need Skype to be stable and flash to not freeze my system (anyone who tells you flash and Skype are good under Linux is just lying).

Although I’ve been struggling with the above problems for a while, I’ve always stuck with Linux mainly because i have always stuck with it. But recently I’ve been wondering why i do it.

Up until a year ago, i have at least enjoyed Linux. Then everything broke. GNOME3 came out, Unity came out, KDE4 came out. KDE is pretty good, but it's buggy – it has a lot of features, each of those features has a potential bug. All the other DEs are too oddball (tiling managers) or just too 90s (fvwm, xfce, e3, icewm). I have a machine with 8gb ram and a decent AMD processor, I WANT bling (but not at the price of stability). You might be surprised that the core developer of comiz is a 20 year old law student.

I'm nearly always in a browser, and browsers just don't work very well under Linux. They all (rightly) target windows, as it is > 98% of their market. You also can't discount the usefulness of MS Office.

For some Linux will always be about subculture and free (GNU) software. I just don't care about this too much. FLOSS software is not necessarily any better then closed software. I only care about good software. My social life has prospered over the past couple of years, I enjoy myself more often now and it turns out I’m not that hung up about software politics.

It is interesting to note that a lot (the vast majority) of the initial unix visionaries are now OSX users. These people often criticize the Linux developer community as too gung-ho. It's well known a lot of Linux developers develop on OSX. Go to any Linux event and see.

Windows is pretty good now. I was about to write "not bad" out of habit but it's better then Desktop Linux. Show-stopping viruses are a problem of the past with win7, they have fixed it with UAC-I am also not an idiot. The operating system is more stable than any full featured desktop distro. At least software/hardware vendors are aware of windows' well documented quirks and work around it. There is one company that develops the kernel all the way up to the UI, there is a sense of assurance about that, it's not as buggy as Linux and i don't play suspend-roulette when i close my laptop lid anymore.

In short, the quality of Desktop Linux has fallen as the quality of windows has risen. The point of intersection was met about a year ago. I cannot think of a real reason to run Linux, but can think of dozens for running windows.

Of course there will always be room for the specialty Linux distro, such as Backtrack and the various recovery/backup distros. I am not talking about these, i am talking about your main desktop. I am also not talking about servers (I run two Linux servers, they are better than windows server; mainly because a server doesn't do very much to begin with) or embedded systems (but generally with embedded systems; only the kernel is used and a proprietary stack is implemented - see android. There is very little GNU is android).

I am open for discussion and dissection. On a side note, i am really impressed with wordpad.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2012
    I had my love affair with Linux but it ended around 2004.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited July 2012
    If you've had enough of linux, I can respect that. If you need something that works for you without having to sort out bug issues after every update/upgrade. The fair enough. If you're warm and fuzzy with an OS, then go for it. That's what I say.;) But heed my words.....You'll be back. :D

I needed to use a windows OS (XP) recently, for studies (software). I just loaded windows onto another HD, a little bit of anti-virus here and there and it's all good.

I've been pretty much dedicated to linux for about 8 or 9 years. I still prefer it to MS.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited July 2012
    bornkiller wrote: »
    If you've had enough of linux, I can respect that. If you need something that works for you without having to sort out bug issues after every update/upgrade. The fair enough. If you're warm and fuzzy with an OS, then go for it. That's what I say.;) But heed my words.....You'll be back. :D

I needed to use a windows OS (XP) recently, for studies (software). I just loaded windows onto another HD, a little bit of anti-virus here and there and it's all good.

I've been pretty much dedicated ti o linux for about 8 or 9 years. I still prefer it to MS.

I will always check out the linux news. i'll probably have an annual 'is linux better yet' trial of the various distros. I try not to be closed minded.

but i'll never recommend linux to anyone unless they ask. i'll just be replacing their windows problems with linux ones.

If I ever write commercial software i probably won't release for linux. linux users don't pay for software.

and yeah I know how whiny I sound.
    edited July 2012
    I was reading something sourced from 'jimmyr' a couple of nights ago. It mentioned something about GTK losing some of their developers. Quality and enthusiasm wasn't up there anymore.
    edited July 2012
    You're probably talking about GNOME, classic case of the post-BDFL effect. Once Miguel miguel de caza left, the GNOME project turned to shit. You can't do much if there's no boss and most GNU projects are full of pretentious little shits.

It's funny you mention it because it might have been the thing that pushed me over the edge.
    http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/2012/07/27/staring-into-the-abyss/

It'll happen to the kernel when Linus is gone as well. That's an aspergers minefield waiting to explode.

GCC is going to go down the tube as well. The GPL3 might have killed it. Apple's stopped using it and so have a bunch of other companies. They're all rallying around clang now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clang BSD software is generally better. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTEwMjI

http://ppenz.blogspot.nl/2012/06/dolphin-21.html
    http://smspillaz.wordpress.com/2011/12/25/apology-2/
    edited July 2012
    You're probably talking about GNOME, classic case of the post-BDFL effect. Once Miguel miguel de caza left, the GNOME project turned to shit. You can't do much if there's no boss and most GNU projects are full of pretentious little shits.

It's funny you mention it because it might have been the thing that pushed me over the edge.
    http://blogs.gnome.org/otte/2012/07/27/staring-into-the-abyss/

You're right! It was gnome. That's the blog I was reading. :o

I got a friend into linux just over a couple of years ago. I think I started him on something like 9.10 ubuntu. He liked its transparency. (Not so much hidden shit.) Unfortunately, the more ubuntu upgraded their distros, the more he started to dislike it. He now uses XP tiny. Just runs a live disc when linux is required.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited July 2012
    GNU Network Object Model Environment was my favorite nix desktop
  • edited August 2012
    I've recently installed the latest Ubuntu release in anticipation for the whole "Steam on Linux" thing, but also just to test it out and see how much it's improved since I last used it. The main thing I noticed was that they'd fixed Unity (as much as possible), but I still find the whole thing too trimmed down. I miss having the menu at the top of the screen. I don't really like dock-style launchers so it doesn't really gel with me to be honest. However, it runs nicely on my system and does everything I need it to do with the nice addition of it being Linux, meaning I can play around with it and do some really cool stuff.

I still come back to Windows for gaming though.
  • angryonionangryonion Just some guy
    edited August 2012
    Well today i found a good use for linux.
    I watch the series FALLINGSKIES and missed last weeks epesode so I did what anyone would do and found a torrent for it.The torrent was in a format that windows could not make any sense of,no program in windows could.
    So I fire up my linux box plug in the usb stick and wala I'm watchen my show in hd, sorround sound with no bullshit and for free.
    Well linux is not my default system but its a good tool to have when you need it and the fact that you have TONS of free software at your figertip[s is a plus.
    edited August 2012
    angryonion wrote: »
    and the fact that you have TONS of free software at your figertip[s is a plus.
    That's the reason I committed to it. ^
    No money was exchanged in the process and I'm not made to feel like a crim when I download software.
  • edited August 2012
    I got an old spare computer from my nan the other day and I installed Ubuntu Server onto it. It's going to be my test machine, something I can learn with, and also a place to locally host webpages throughout my network. Maybe an actual webserver if I can be bothered, although it's such an old machine that it wouldn't handle much traffic so it would be for my friends use only :D More to the point, I'm finding it very interesting using nothing more than a command line interface. I'm currently learning about Iptables!
    edited August 2012
    a webserver would only be a problem if you use apache.

thttpd without a doubt is the best low resource httpd I've ever used.
    www.acme.com/software/thttpd/

dropbear instead of openssh
    matt.ucc.asn.au/dropbear/dropbear.html