Possibly the most fucked up language in the world

Comments

• fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    Time for tea, guv'ner?

What's that sign even say?
  • PacinoPacino Regular
    edited July 2010
    I think its the name of a village, i have family in wales i go there once or twice a year, but i fuckin hate the language
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited July 2010
    I supposedly have ancestors from Wales. I wouldn't know wtf to do with the language, though. That is a long ass word even for me, and I was a grad student.
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited July 2010
    I will agree with you on this, Welsh and the Celtic languages are all FUCKED UP.
  • StrykerStryker New Arrival
    edited November 2010
    Pacino wrote: »
    This is real, and it gets worse

a124_Llanfair.jpg

Possibly the most fucked up language in the world

Nah mate! English is!:D

Welsh - Cymric - is one of the Goidelic group. Includes Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Gaelic and Earse (Irish Gaelic). Also the now almost dead Cornic From Cornwall.

No-one but a natural born Welsh person can ever speak the compound consonants the prevail within that Language Properly! . e.g. Lloyd, which we say as Loid but is actually pronounced - Clout (Smith). The place Llanect is not Lanekt but Clanesd. The "LL" is pronounced in a CWRL sound. "DD" is eth and so on.
  • StrykerStryker New Arrival
    edited November 2010
    Llanfair (Pron: Clanfay) is a town in Wales.
  • RolfRolf Regular
    edited January 2011
    Stryker wrote: »

Welsh - Cymric - is one of the Goidelic group. Includes Norwegian, Faroese, Icelandic, Gaelic and Earse (Irish Gaelic). Also the now almost dead Cornic From Cornwall.

Welsh is Brythonic, not Goidelic, corrects Rolf. The only living Brythonic languages left are Welsh, Cornish and Breton... though Rolf has a feeling that Rolf is forgetting one of them. The Brythonic languages were a family of Celtic languages that were spoken by the Celts who lived in Britain before the Germanic tribes came, states Rolf.

The Goidelic (a.k.a Gaelic) languages are related to the Brythonic languages in that they are both Insular Celtic, meaning they originated in the British isles as opposed to the Continental Celtic languages of the European mainland states Rolf. The Goidelic group originated in Ireland and later spread to Scotland when the Gaels migrated to Scotland and later assimilated the Pictish people, whose language is speculated to either be Brythonic or closely related to it, states Rolf. The remaining Goidelic languages are Irish, Scottish Gaelic and Manx, states Rolf.

Norwegian, Icelandic and Faroese are all North Germanic languages and are only related to the Celtic languages due to the fact they both descended from Indo-European, of course, Rolf is not including possible loan words that might exist due to the era when the Scandinavians were sailing around the British Isles, states Rolf. Icelandic, Norwegian and Faroese all belong to the West Scandinavian subgroup while Swedish and Danish belong to the East Scandinavian subgroup, states Rolf.
  • EppillusEppillus Acolyte
    edited January 2011
    Stryker wrote: »

No-one but a natural born Welsh person can ever speak the compound consonants the prevail within that Language Properly! . e.g. Lloyd, which we say as Loid but is actually pronounced - Clout (Smith). The place Llanect is not Lanekt but Clanesd. The "LL" is pronounced in a CWRL sound. "DD" is eth and so on.

You're a fucking idiot. Cloyd? LL is to L what T is to D. You blow out air rather than vibrate the vocal chords. Compare P/B, F/V, S/Z. If people were taught IPA alongside the current retarded spelling system they might have some idea about what sounds they're making.