wtf? a direct deposit from my old job???

Willy WonkaWilly Wonka Acolyte
edited April 2011 in Spurious Generalities
Apparently, on the 1st of april, I got a direct deposit in my bank account....

...from the job that fired me a MONTH ago.

How does this happen?

is it safe to pull the money out?

will I get in trouble if they realize it's a mistake and I use the money?

If this is an april fools joke it is the cruelest one ever...

Comments

• blindbatblindbat Regular
    edited April 2011
    did you get a last pay check from them ? severance pay maybe?
  • Willy WonkaWilly Wonka Acolyte
    edited April 2011
    I don't know what severance pay is, besides what one could draw from the obvious name. No, I got my last check from them, A MONTH AGO. this is a new, couple hundred dollar check almost exactly identical to a 30+/- hour week.

Either this is a HUGE fuck up on their end, or a manager who still has access to payroll is looking out for me.

I can't even believe this happened, you don't GET lucky breaks like this. And you don't know how terribly I need the money...

fucking wow.
  • uofmcamarouofmcamaro Regular
    edited April 2011
    If you pull it out and use it then when they realize they will just debit that amount from your account. You'll have to take that up with the old work and if it went to court you would end up losing I do believe.
    edited April 2011
    See, this isn't like the bank has made the error. to them it looks like I just got paid as per usual. the deposit isn't pending, it's cleared. for them to take the money back, my old boss would have to call the bank, claiming they made an error.

Now being a corporation, I'm sure they'll get more respect than you or I... but I know for certain that if you wrote me a check, and called them to cancel it after it had cleared and been withdrawn, they would tell you they can't.

I worry I'm just being too optimistic here, but this is my theory. please criticize it at will.
    edited April 2011
    I work at a bank.

The response you will get it "you knew it wasn't your money" which is true. Much like when someone does fraud on your debit card or credit card, you claim it as fraud and get it back.
    edited April 2011
    uofmcamaro wrote: »
    I work at a bank.

The response you will get it "you knew it wasn't your money" which is true. Much like when someone does fraud on your debit card or credit card, you claim it as fraud and get it back.

okay, so what am I looking at here for worst case scenario?

And in your professional opinion, what course of action do you recommended?

Reading your other post I can guess at what the answer to my second question will be..

really, if I can bullshit my way out of the fees (aka play dumb) I'd be willing to accept this as a loan.
    edited April 2011
    I don't know if the bank would be willing to give you any fee's back that you may get. Different places do things different. My bank would tell you that since your former employer made the mistake that they would have to cover your fee's. Good luck with that in most cases.

The best thing to do would, of course, be to do nothing with the money and call your old job. Let them know what happened and see if it is legit. You never know, maybe it is some sort of profit sharing or something? That is the best thing to do in this situation.

Basically it boils down to this...you won't go to jail if you take the money out and never pay it back. This isn't "stealing" techincally but they will make your account negative (assuming it isn't legit money) and you will be placed on chexsystems. They know that you know that you shouldn't have money coming from them.

Basically if you keep it and it obviously isn't yours then you can't plead a good case.
  • Hellz-FuryHellz-Fury Regular
    edited April 2011
    So go for it. :thumbsup:
  • edited April 2011
    Did you get your holiday pay on your last cheque? I don't know if this is valid where you are. Here, we get 4% of each payday banked automatically, and if you quit the employer has 30 days to pay it regardless of pay schedule, if you worked for 6 months, this equals a 1 week cheque.

C/O
    "fuck those red wavy lines, I write in Canadian, cheque, cheque, cheque"
  • edited April 2011
    uofmcamaro wrote: »
    I work at a bank.

Still play dumb.

Say you thought it was severance pay, or a check that you forgot to cash from a while ago or that got lost in the mail for a few weeks.

If the check has your name on it and shit, I'd take it. These jokers already sent out a direct deposit to someone they no longer employ and didn't catch it. What's to say they'll notice the money?
  • jewnosejewnose Regular
    edited April 2011
    If this happened to me, I'd just leave the money in the account until I got the next bank statement. There might be some sort of clue on there to let you know if it's legit or not. If the bank statement didn't tell me anything, I'd try to sit on the money for a month or two just to be sure. Then I'd spend that shit.

I make horrible decisions though, so maybe you shouldn't do what I would do.
  • BigHarryDickBigHarryDick Cock Bite
    edited April 2011
    So you get a check direct deposit and the First thing you do

Is make a thread about it. :confused:

Go spend it dumbass.
    edited April 2011
    Still play dumb.

Say you thought it was severance pay, or a check that you forgot to cash from a while ago or that got lost in the mail for a few weeks.

If the check has your name on it and shit, I'd take it. These jokers already sent out a direct deposit to someone they no longer employ and didn't catch it. What's to say they'll notice the money?

That is fine, I'm just saying what WILL happen in the case that it legitimately was a mistake. The money WILL be debited from your account. That is a fact. From there I don't know what recourse you have, if any...but it isn't the bank that you'll be dealing with in that case.