Totse e-newsletter

buddhabuddha Regular
edited April 2011 in Help and Suggestions
I think we should consider an e-newsletter, Nothing too major just some of the top posts from a few of the forums, and general site news, upcoming raids, things like that.

I think it would help with member retention quite a bit, also remind people to visit a bit more, mainly for some that only come once every few weeks or so.
and some of the older members that may have forgotten about this place. Even the people who left because of lack of content at the time. I think it would help to show people the forum is active and strong.

Maybe even include a list of bans at the bottom (for the lulz)

I'd be willing to throw an example together if anyone is interested.

You could make it a simple check box during the registration process, or not, just include an unsub link in the email.

I was thinking a weekly rotation. Could have someone throw it together then send it to dfg or someone for distribution.

Could also make a nifty marketing tool for things like facebook and stuff.

Any thoughts? Improvements? STFU and go to hell Buddha?

I was just really like to see this new incarnation of totse succeed and be the best on the web. I think it has a lot more going for it that the old one never had. As long as the politics remain the same as they are now. But I'm sure this ship might have to be tightened up a little when we get a lot more users.
Lets see how it goes.

UPDATE 3-9-11: Take a look. This is what it should look like, please download this image, MAKE CORRECTIONS ON THE IMAGE IN RED. and email it back to me @ [email protected]

Ignore things like spacing and alignments as that will be taken care of in the actual newsletter.

c44b81ffdd602c84f1a4703213b46.png

Suggestions? Improvements? and obviously the subject matter will be different in the real one.

Comments

• Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited February 2011
    I think Dfg should make you staff and put you in charge of that.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    I think Dfg should make you staff and put you in charge of that.

I'd do it, can't really fuck it up. I know enough html to make a nice looking and nice reading one. And I'm here enough to stay on top of things, and see the good threads.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited February 2011
    Sounds cool. Could be useful.

We can gut one of the text file pages as a template. All that's needed is a the totse bg and a white div for the content. I can help with stuff.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Sounds cool. Could be useful.

We can gut one of the text file pages as a template. All that's needed is a the totse bg and a white div for the content. I can help with stuff.

I had all ready thought about a totse bg, Like I said I'll throw something together if I get the ok from dfg, you know just to give a general idea. then we can all discuss improvements to it.
  • MooseKnuckleMooseKnuckle Regular
    edited February 2011
    sadly dfg died today. he got stomped on the face by a camel, while we were on the phone with our stringed cans. however.. i appoint you newsletter guy :hai:
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    sadly dfg died today. he got stomped on the face by a camel, while we were on the phone with our stringed cans. however.. i appoint you newsletter guy :hai:

We will wait and see, I hope so though, I think it'd be fun and give me a unique way to improve totse.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Okay, I am in. I will look for a way to make it work :)
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Dfg wrote: »

I'm on it.

I'll have a draft to you by Monday night. Hopefully sooner.

EEEEEE so exciting.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011

For the time being, can't you just use the email's from all the registered users?

Even if a mailing list had to be made, it would be a one time thing. Then just add the new arrivals every week before it gets sent out.
  • edited February 2011
    Amazing idea, can't wait to see this. As well as using email addresses for newsletters, I think we should have a section on the site for all the newsletters, old and new. This way, people who don't check their emails or don't have a valid email address (like me :D) can still read the newsletter.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    trx100 wrote: »
    Amazing idea, can't wait to see this. As well as using email addresses for newsletters, I think we should have a section on the site for all the newsletters, old and new. This way, people who don't check their emails or don't have a valid email address (like me :D) can still read the newsletter.

A newsletter forum, what a great idea. I'll make sure to put that in the newsletter.
  • edited February 2011
    I was thinking more of a section on the main site with the newsletters on, rather than a section on the forum. This might encourage people to look at the main site more often too.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    You can use the CMS for the newsletters btw. I am looking for a VB hack/mod for the newsletter
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    You can use the CMS for the newsletters btw. I am looking for a VB hack/mod for the newsletter

eh? whats crackalackin?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    buddha wrote: »
    eh? whats crackalackin?

http://www.totse.info/cms
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011
    This sounds like a solid move in a positive direction. Thanks for stepping up to the plate buddha.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    This sounds like a solid move in a positive direction. Thanks for stepping up to the plate buddha.

No praise yet, we will see how my pile of shit turns out.

Got to get ready for church, be back this afternoon to work on it.
    edited February 2011
    Hey, you are stepping up to the plate, just like in baseball nobody gets on base every time. The important thing to a new community is that users, such as yourself, suit up and play. So thanks for suiting up m8.
  • edited February 2011
    You've done a killer job for a new user to be honest - you've shown a shit load of dedication which is exactly what we need. People like you will help push this site forward.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, fuck, thanks for the encouragement.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    You've done a killer job for a new user to be honest - you've shown a shit load of dedication which is exactly what we need. People like you will help push this site forward.

Fucking ^This!
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Updated the CMS layout. It should look more close to the main page now.
  • edited February 2011
    Updated the CMS layout. It should look more close to the main page now.

I think you broked something...

2p.png
  • edited February 2011
    Pakistanis sniff cum
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Hmmm, padding issue.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Posting from netbook resolution. The layout doesn't break. TRX please post your resolution :)
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Just FYI, I am working on the sample layout and shit right now. Shouldn't be too much longer.
  • edited February 2011
    Posting from netbook resolution. The layout doesn't break. TRX please post your resolution :)

1680x1050, Firefox, Windows 7 (actually I think it might have been Backtrack Linux at the time, but they're both doing the same thing). :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited February 2011
    Checked using 1600*1200
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited February 2011
    Just fyi should be done right after I'm done cooking and eating dinner.

I'm having meatloaf.

And I no like the CMS. poo on it.

You'll see what I mean in a bit.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry guys, I am working on this, just as you can see from my post yesterday I am in a lot of pain and drugged, also easily distracted.

Shouldn't be too much longer though.

I apologize for the delay.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Dude, take it easy :)
  • edited March 2011
    Sorry guys, I am working on this, just as you can see from my post yesterday I am in a lot of pain and drugged, also easily distracted.

Shouldn't be too much longer though.

I apologize for the delay.

No worries, take your time! No sense rushing things when you can take a little extra time on them and make sure they're perfect before submitting the idea :D
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    No worries, take your time! No sense rushing things when you can take a little extra time on them and make sure they're perfect before submitting the idea :D

Oh so it has to be perfect eh? Well maybe you should just ask jesus to do it then.

I'm kidding.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    UPDATED ORIGINAL POST DRAFT OF NEWSLETTER

Download it, make corrections, mail it back

See OP.

WOOHOO! Getting closer. Can you feel it?
  • edited March 2011
    UPDATED ORIGINAL POST DRAFT OF NEWSLETTER

Download it, make corrections, mail it back

See OP.

WOOHOO! Getting closer. Can you feel it?

This is good news! *Goes to check OP*.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    This is good news! *Goes to check OP*.

Don't get your hopes up too far it's just an image, I ain't going to do all the shit until everyone is happy with the way it looks.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Was also thinking about adding a member counter at the bottom or something.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Initial impressions? The suspense is killing me.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I like it, it looks a bit simplistic, but thats good. The reply numbers are good :thumbsup:

See the dates?
  • edited March 2011
    Well, the image won't even load for me :( I have no idea what's wrong with it, but it just keeps timing out whenever I have a look. I'll check it tomorrow when I go to school.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, the image won't even load for me :( I have no idea what's wrong with it, but it just keeps timing out whenever I have a look. I'll check it tomorrow when I go to school.

Want me to email it to you?

Forgot you are on a slow ass connection.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Bump, Changed the pic link and just bumping. Where the fuck is dfg?

c44b81ffdd602c84f1a4703213b46.png
  • edited March 2011
    I like the look of that! Needs more articles though - perhaps we could get some people writing their own articles for it every week/month/whatever? I'd quite like to do some kind of Totse overview article.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    I like the look of that! Needs more articles though - perhaps we could get some people writing their own articles for it every week/month/whatever? I'd quite like to do some kind of Totse overview article.

Well the first announcements section would be pretty much like what you see, the second guides and how tos would be whatever the newest ones posted were, probably 3-5 of them. And the hot topics part I was thinking the top 10, handpicked of course because some of fattys threads have no content but shitloads of posts. Kind of subjective, but I think it will work ok.

It's going to be different every week hopefully by alot so if we add to many guides and how tos it will be a lot of repeats week after week.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for this buddha. I will get the plugin for Vbull.

Btw my Internet is down, so I am at Raven's place.
  • buddhabuddha Regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for this buddha. I will get the plugin for Vbull.

Btw my Internet is down, so I am at Raven's place.

What like a newsletter mailing list plugin thing? send me the info on it when you do, I want to make sure everything is going to work.

So I quess I'll start writing it up.

YEA! HTML!

And I guess with no other input, I'll keep it like it is.

Announcments
    Guides and how-tos 3-5 (probably 3 for now up it to five when we start getting more.)
    Hot topics 10-12

You know we need to come up with a way to...nvm, get the plugin then we will work out the details to distribute it.