OMFG WTF? Why is Totse style changing?

DfgDfg Admin
edited January 2011 in Help and Suggestions
Yeah, I should tell you between 11th and 17th November Totse.info is going to go under major changes. I mean major in every way and during this time you will see different things, like a very raw layout and different elements.

Yes, we can do this on a mirror server but honestly it's a bitch to work on that server, plus everything is hidden and we ZERO feedback. So, I thought why not just go with the flow and test the layouts on a live production environment. Since if we fuck up we can easily revert back to the old style but it does provide us an excellent place to start making something new.

As you all know that we're working on making this website faster and more easier to use. For this we needed t change the current template and make it more modern. The current layout you see a very early beta. This layout has been developed by bornkiller and I did the markup and the extra stuff but the full credit goes to bornkiller who is a real gem to Totse.info.

ITT: Ideas, thoughts and some screenshots, so we check how much the layout fails and fix it.

Btw after 17th November we will hopefully move to a dedicated server thanks to vineman and abrn.

Comments

• edited November 2010
    Not sure if want...
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    trx100 wrote: »
    Not sure if want...

Oh don't worry. That was a very early beta. We used CSS3 gradients to remove the old table layout. If required we just see gradient images. But again it was a layout test. I want to see if the template works or fits the forums.
  • edited November 2010
    Awesome. Just remember that CSS3 isn't currently supported by IE.
  • DysgraphiaDysgraphia Locked
    edited November 2010
    I liked the retro-web 2.0 theme we had going on about 15 minutes ago. Looked kinda sweet.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Dysgraphia wrote: »
    I liked the retro-web 2.0 theme we had going on about 15 minutes ago. Looked kinda sweet.
    I like it as well. But it needs some color fixes and font/color tweaks. But still considering this is just a beta and a every rough template, I loved it.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO BORNKILLER WHO DID AN AWESOME JOB OF DOING THE TEMPLATE!

I will need some more help because we might have to do various versions of this same layout to make it work with every browser. But I am confident we can do it.

EDIT: It's funny no one noticed the special logo of the day. [credit goes to katz]
  • edited November 2010
    What are we going to do about security levels?
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited November 2010
    Nobody likes change :o

But really, let's see how good it can get :D
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    What are we going to do about security levels?

I already did what I could. I have asked some users to pen test totse and notify me of any leaks. I am also doing some pen testing myself and slowly fixing leaks here and there. remember I am doing this for our new host. Altushost doesn't really matter now.

Also, I am regulary checking for any changes and if something happens to Totse I am good at recovering things and preventing them in future.
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited November 2010
    Mayberry wrote: »
    Nobody likes change :o

But really, let's see how good it can get :D

barack-obama-change.jpg
    edited November 2010
    ^Silly Americans, change is for kids! :o
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Ftr: The idea is to update Totse while not moving away from the real feel of Totse. Also, by adding the new code changes we can easily implement this simple template on CMS and any new site/section.

Better portability. Also, unlike Zoklet and other websites, everything is transparent which allows anyone to contribute and take the project further. I don't want Totse to go down if I die or something happens to me. This time Totse wouldn't be dependent on just one man.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited November 2010
    Awesome. Just remember that CSS3 isn't currently supported by IE.
    Some of it does work but I didn't add the properties to it because I don't have windows "therefore I don't have IE" :)
    I didn't add these to the css "IE Solutions for css3" Mang! I can't believe IE can be so fucked up should just accept progress. They're like "If we didn't think of it, we're not gonna support it" Soon IE will have nobody. *evil laugh*
  • edited November 2010
    I just read somewhere that the whole TOTSE style is based around tables. Tables are good, but they don't really allow for much flexibility.

How about we redesign this place using a more up-to-date DIV layout? It would be much easier to work with.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    I just read somewhere that the whole TOTSE style is based around tables. Tables are good, but they don't really allow for much flexibility.

How about we redesign this place using a more up-to-date DIV layout? It would be much easier to work with.

We're actually just doing that :).
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited November 2010
    The style you have at this moment is really good. The corners of the page have been rounded and looks cleaner overall.

I saw hot topics on the right, and was like :eek:.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Okay after a bit of experimentation and head banging [mostly css conflicts] I got the template working some how. Atm Hot Topic is on the right and I will move it to the left because honestly it looks better there. And it adds more content space.

I need some screenshots from different browsers. If you find some problems report here. Btw IE doesn't support CSS 3 features atm and I might use a workaround for it.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Btw huge thanks to bornkiller and skittles for making this amazing layout. They made my job fuck load easier. Tweaking the HT a bit.
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited November 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Atm Hot Topic is on the right and I will move it to the left because honestly it looks better there.

:sad:

Also, does it seem like the top bar, and side tabs have a brighter teal blue than the original?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    vozhde wrote: »
    :sad:

Also, does it seem like the top bar, and side tabs have a brighter teal blue than the original?

Yeah, they're a bit bright but I am sure it can tweaked [I know it can be] You can check this site on IE and see the colors.

HT Tweaked, now the links will open in the parent page meaning no new pages.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
  • skyclaw441skyclaw441 Regular
    edited November 2010
    OMFG WTF I like it! :) Awesome. Though, I wonder, how much more exactly is subject to change? I'm all for making some major renovations (the layout was getting to look quite ancient, this looks damn spiffy thus far), but I'm not up for changing it entirely (e.g. the background, core color scheme, etc.)
  • fanglekaifanglekai Regular
    edited November 2010
    The layout looks fucking sweet. Good work.
    edited November 2010
    I'm liking the new look. Like a few posts up said the old one looked outdated.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    skyclaw441 wrote: »
    OMFG WTF I like it! :) Awesome. Though, I wonder, how much more exactly is subject to change? I'm all for making some major renovations (the layout was getting to look quite ancient, this looks damn spiffy thus far), but I'm not up for changing it entirely (e.g. the background, core color scheme, etc.)

Nah, we're not going to change the core concepts. It's basically a technology change. We're moving away from the outdated tables and stepping into newer standards. Of course we will face browser compatibility problems [IE] but at least the site will be faster and it will look fresh and more attractive.

And don't worry, everything gets approved by you guys :).
  • DfgRemnantsUnleashedDfgRemnantsUnleashed Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2010
    lol, this is funny. The IE actually works perfectly when it comes to the CSS and everything but my FF using Dfg account kinda fucks up here and there. Can you guys run some tests and post screen shots etc.
  • DfgRemnantsUnleashedDfgRemnantsUnleashed Semo-Regulars
    edited November 2010
    Don't bother with it. The issue is related to site speed. Everything is working fine.
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    Don't bother with it. The issue is related to site speed. Everything is working fine.

Thanks for the feed back :)
    edited November 2010

:facepalm: unless this really is Dfg.
  • SlartibartfastSlartibartfast Global Moderator -__-
    edited November 2010
    The new look is very nice.

Is the hot-topics going to stay on the left?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    :facepalm: unless this really is Dfg.

It's me :p
    The new look is very nice.

Is the hot-topics going to stay on the left?

Depends mostly. I can move it to the other side if you guys want. Or orginally intented to have two styles which can be selected via menu just like on Zoklet. That will require some digging in. I don't mind the current version because it will allow me to add banners/ads/etc below the HT and basically cover that space but it does compress the content area.
    But again this is a great layout for CMS as well.

Btw the look isn't finished yet. It's a work in progress but we got the major parts right.
    edited November 2010
    I almost jizzed to the layout. Almost.
    edited November 2010
    It's nice and smooth now. Like my ass :D
  • TheGreenDoctorTheGreenDoctor Regular
    edited November 2010
    The colors on the hot topics bar and the tabs are a bit hard on the eyes. Can it be dulled back down a bit? It's nice to see the hot topics bar back on the right and functional though.
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I saw that too. Its like each post is a separate entity, and it looks a little messy. The advanced reply screen does it as well and it look makes everything look kind of bad.
    edited November 2010
    After using the updated look for awhile, Hot Topics on the right, while nice and symmetrical, gives a sort of confined feeling.

/claustrophobia
  • SkittlesSkittles Regular
    edited November 2010
    Its a good start, but there is still a bit more to work on. I've been working on recreating the logo and background as it looks a little shitty compared to all the fancy new css :hai:

Good work though, we're finally getting there!

EDIT: Does anyone have some old Totse screenshots that we can work from to get the right colours and layout?
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    The current template isn't elastic. Which means whatever you do the page will not resize or adjust like it does in elastic layouts. I will fix that one when I redo the template. Consider this a beta test. Take screen shots and post them here, makes my job easier.
    edited November 2010
    Dfg wrote: »
    Bookmarked! & QFT!:thumbsup:
  • edited November 2010
    You're getting there TOTSE. Getting there :D
    edited November 2010
    Safari on OS X
    2romd7s.png
    edited November 2010
    Skittles wrote: »
    Its a good start, but there is still a bit more to work on. I've been working on recreating the logo and background as it looks a little shitty compared to all the fancy new css :hai:

Good work though, we're finally getting there!

EDIT: Does anyone have some old Totse screenshots that we can work from to get the right colours and layout?

totse.png

totse2.png

Totsebg.png
    edited November 2010
    edited November 2010
    Lol, that troll called me ugly.
    edited November 2010
    Looks ok in Midori.

FeWZ2.png

In seamonkey it looks like the original totse. Obviously gradients aren't supported. but the rounded corners are. Strange considering seamonkey is Mozilla. :confused:
    I could live with that look though. It's almost nostalgic. :p

Vh7r3.png
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    If you're having problems with the default [current style] use the drop down menu and select mobile. It will take you to the older style we had. Don't worry we will work on that as well but the mobile theme will have HT on the left side. The default will follow this current layout.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited November 2010
    The site is running real smooth, Dfg. Pages load almost instantly... no stutter at all. Good work, guys. :thumbsup:
  • DfgDfg Admin
    edited November 2010
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    The site is running real smooth, Dfg. Pages load almost instantly... no stutter at all. Good work, guys. :thumbsup:

Thanks, we haven't shifted to the new host yet. We're still on Altus. You will see major changes and a bit of planned down time when we're there.
  • edited November 2010
    Again, its good that this place is moving in the right direction. Site is nice and speedy :D
  • abrnabrn Abrn
    edited November 2010
    CHANGE THIS FUCKING LAYOUT

This shit is ugly, untotsean, and horrible. Nothing aligns right. The whole crisp look of things is pretty gay but it looks mediocre on the tab and shit BUT U BETTER FIX THAT FUCKING BACKGROUND.

CHANGE THIS SHIT BACK

WHOEVER DID HIS IS A DICKMEAT IDIOT FUCK YOU

totse needs to stay the way it was because there wasnt ONE THING WRONG WITH IT and its also the totse ive been looking at for 10 years and now its the totse that ive been looking at for ten years that somebody badly photosopped and dropped in a puddle

it also seriously take away from the whole retro look of the site, its totse, from 20 years ago you know? that old sturdy stable - not some fancy 2.0 blog aight

sorry but i just fkng hate it and i just drunk drive for an hour

we should go back to ubb :) ( a lot of our problems come from vB imo)