-Spectral For Mod of Bad Ideas

Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
edited January 2011 in Spurious Generalities
I would like to nominate -Spectral for mod of Bad Ideas. He did a fine job of it over at Zoklet and he demonstrated his knowledge in this area on both Totse and Zoklet. There is currently no mod in that forum and it has the potential to draw new members if it is properly managed and contributed to.

I know there are those here who have some feud or another with -Spectral due to old drama from Zoklet. But I also know that -Spectral is mature enough to look past old bullshit in order to function as an impartial mod for Bad Ideas.

Please take a moment to vote in this poll and provide a small post to explain your vote.

P.S. Poll is open for ten days and results are public.

Comments

• VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    SLIM and Spectral would make great mods of Bad Ideas. Dunno if SLIM still uses his regular account or will continue posting in his mysoginist persona though.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yes yes yes! If people can get over their feuds with him I think he's the best option for the forum. I know he is a very reasonable mod despite what others may say.
  • -SpectraL-SpectraL Will Faggert
    edited January 2011
    You can use me as a test run for the "No More Fucking Around" philosophy... if you do subscribe to such outlandish thinking, that is. I'll be like a big, evil black spider with really long legs that waits quietly for his dinner. Contact my agent and make an appointment if you like.
  • ILTST9ILTST9 Regular
    edited January 2011
    Vizier wrote: »
    SLIM and Spectral would make great mods of Bad Ideas. Dunno if SLIM still uses his regular account or will continue posting in his mysoginist persona though.

I haven't even heard from SLIM in a while. Although back in the day he would have made a great mod, he isn't even active on these kinds of forums anymore to my knowledge.

Edit: haha nevermind he's negrophobe apparently
  • DirtySanchezDirtySanchez Regular
    edited January 2011
    I think he'd make a good mod. He's contributed some pretty good material in BI lately.
  • Darth BeaverDarth Beaver Meine Ehre heißt Treue
    edited January 2011
    @ Vizier: Yeah I thought about SLIM when I made this thread but I never see him around and in order to mod you have to be active, especial in the section that is to be modded. If SLIM were to get his ass in here and start posting he would be a great addition to the staff.
    edited January 2011
    @ Vizier: Yeah I thought about SLIM when I made this thread but I never see him around and in order to mod you have to be active, especial in the section that is to be modded. If SLIM were to get his ass in here and start posting he would be a great addition to the staff.

He still posts here but under a different name.
    edited January 2011
    He still posts here but under a different name.

Which name?

@-Spectral: You can vote yes ya' know...
  • Gary OakGary Oak Regular
    edited January 2011
    Negrophobe. :facepalm:
    edited January 2011
    Gary Oak wrote: »
    Negrophobe. :facepalm:

OK I can see that now...

I just don't pay a whole lot of attention to people's alts and such...
    edited January 2011
    Ya... but it's a lot more complicated than just moving me in there, guise. Let's stop and think here. Look at the way I am! It's no secret that I have ZERO tolerance for defacement of valid discussion, and it's also no secret that I don't give two flying fucks who brings what excuse to the table to justify undoing what I have decided to do. I guess what I'm saying is that I'm the kind of guy who won't tolerate undermining in any way, shape or form. If I'm leading a forum, then I'm leading it... period. And I don't give a rat's ass if either another moderator, one of the admins, or Jesus' left testicle floats down from heaven, thinks they will know better than I do in the forum I am to lead. I do not want to be an Internet janitor, and I have no inclination at all for cleaning up behind people who won't get their shit together. Of course I am always open to discussion, and if I am found to be in the wrong, then I will be the first one to step forward and admit it, BUT only when ample argument has been presented that I am actually in the wrong... none of this babble... babble... babble... mainstream mentality... quantity over quality... holding people hands for them... bullshit. So you gotta ask yourself, do you want a guy like me leading Bad Ideas? I'm the poster boy for strong-arm tactics and rank disregard for authority when it comes to the defacement of the spirit of a Totse forum, so if I am to lead, make sure that's what you really want first. And, no... I am not unsympathetic and uncaring, and I do believe it is essential to assist those who really are trying, but who just do not have the skills as yet to do better, but for me there are lines in the sand which will indeed result in severe retribution if crossed. And if I find myself being undermined without due cause, then I come back all the madder, so it's best not to even go there in the first place unless you are ready to allow me to lead the forum as I see fit.
    edited January 2011
    ^^Like I've said before the serious forums should remain serious. I have no problem with you modding and clearing out HB style bullshit when it comes.
    edited January 2011
    ^^Like I've said before the serious forums should remain serious. I have no problem with you modding and clearing out HB style bullshit when it comes.
    Yes, but Hellish and Dfg may not be good with it. They've already made it known... well at least Dfg has... that bannings are a last resort... but the problem there is that I can tell a useless attention-whore from a mile off, and I don't need nobody to hold my hand when it comes to... errrr... dealing with them. And you know, some people just ain't gonna like my methods. My methods, however, are in fact sound.
    edited January 2011
    Spectral, if you are saying that is you are modded for BI that you would do things however you wanted regardless of the communities stated desires I am more than a bit concerned. I know you are mature enough to realize that there are rules which we all must agree to if this community is to flourish. I am sure you came of much stronger than you intended to with that last post so I will reserve my judgment until the conversation had "ripened" a bit more.
  • bornkillerbornkiller Administrator In your girlfriends snatch
    edited January 2011
    Sorry Spec. I voted "No" You banned people for the most minimal of reasons @ zoklet.
    For completely derailing threads I can semi respect, but for just putting up a "lol :D" post is a pretty stupid reason. It's shit like this that turns members away.
    You lack self control in a position of authority & intimidation of regular members can be this forums downfall.
    However on a good note:
    You are an awesome contributor & a great asset to any forum (as a regular) Your post discussions are usually of interest, on my behalf anyways.
    If you can show some self control as a demi-mod or some shit I'd perhaps reverse that vote. However! I'm a little sceptic @ this early stage. :o
    edited January 2011
    That's the thing, though. Often the opinion of the majority is just plain wrong, and I do not hesitate to challenge it in every way possible when it is. For example, it may be that the majority of community thinks it's perfectly fine for a member to go into Bad Ideas expressly for the purpose of posting useless garbage in order to get some personal attention and loving care. But the care he's going to get from me won't be the care he expects. Now... the majority might think it's a real shame that some attention-whoring spamming clown got its ass whipped real good and got bant, but I don't!. And as long as I am leading the forum, it is my say which will take precedence over all. And as I said, I'm mature and responsible enough to be accountable to reason and carry out open debate on the various decisions the majority has a problem with, but in putting me in Bad Ideas you are basically giving me a cart-blache to lead the forum as I see fit or remove me for doing so.
  • MayberryMayberry Regular
    edited January 2011
    I don't know you from other forums, and I haven't seen enough contributions here to warrant modship, so I voted no.
  • VizierVizier Regular
    edited January 2011
    The thing is, I do believe Spectral will make a fine mod here, especially if Bad Ideas is to be made into a useful forum. I personally lurk it a lot, and back at totse it was filled with epic goodies. Spectral might abused his power and went on a frenzy quite a lot of times in PEOO; which was a bit too far considering PEOO is pretty much a drama shit fest and all that.

That should apply to Bad Ideas though; that forum was pretty much one of the reasons Totse had so much traffic, publicity, infame, etc.

Over there on Zoklet is was mostly "herp derp I wana shoplift dem cheetoz, wat do?" kiddie bullshit. It was kind of solved when they made a subforum (HB style pretty much) for Bad Ideas, but still... that was the easy way out.
    edited January 2011
    Yep... herp/derp does have a place occasionally in any forum, but it should never be a prominent feature of a serious discussion forum, and I can't think of any argument at all which could dissuade me of that. And, no.. I would never accept a demi-mod position... not after all I've been through. No, sir. My record speaks for itself.
    edited January 2011
    One thing that really disappoints me ITT is this. There are two people who voted no and could not be assed to post why. Now if it were just two regulars that would be one thing. But the two people were bornkiller (Global Moderator) and My Mom is Dead (Moderator).

I am not sure why bornkiller voted as he did and he is not saying. As a Global Moderator it would be a good example of community leadership for him politely explain his reasoning.

As for My Mom is Dead I clearly recall bad blood between him an -Spectral from the time when -Spectral was a mod on Zoklet. Without a post from My Mom is Dead I can only assume that his vote had something to do with that.

C'mon' guys, you two are supposed to be community leaders please step up to the plate and walk the walk. Explain your votes in an honest mature fashion. Who knows, maybe you will change someones mind..

@-Spectral, While I sympathize with your logic I think you realize that procedures are in place for handling problem kiddies. Procedures that the entire community took part in crafting. If you were mod of BI and igored these procedures in favor of your own methods it would make you no better than FlabbyShark or Zos in that you would be placing yourself above the rules in favor of doing things your way.

I know you are slick enough to use the rules and procedures that are already in place to achieve the same ends results that your methods garner. But by taking the easy way out and ignoring the agreed upon methods you would only serve to give credence to the cause of those who would act in a manner that is counter-productive to the goals of this community.

As you have said before, "You have to hit above the belt". By discarding the methods that the community has agreed upon in favor of your shortcuts you would be tossing out the rules and cause yourself to play in the same mud pit as those you would see removed from play.
    edited January 2011
    ...By discarding the methods that the community has agreed upon in favor of your shortcuts you would be tossing out the rules and cause yourself to play in the same mud pit as those you would see removed from play.
    Ya, well... the short and the long of it is I will NEVER support repeated and wanton defacement of valid discussion, REGARDLESS of what community wants. I didn't come this far and give up so much just to fold for a mod position at this late date.
    edited January 2011
    -SpectraL wrote: »
    That's the thing, though. Often the opinion of the majority is just plain wrong, and I do not hesitate to challenge it in every way possible when it is. For example, it may be that the majority of community thinks it's perfectly fine for a member to go into Bad Ideas expressly for the purpose of posting useless garbage in order to get some personal attention and loving care. But the care he's going to get from me won't be the care he expects. Now... the majority might think it's a real shame that some attention-whoring spamming clown got its ass whipped real good and got bant, but I don't!. And as long as I am leading the forum, it is my say which will take precedence over all. And as I said, I'm mature and responsible enough to be accountable to reason and carry out open debate on the various decisions the majority has a problem with, but in putting me in Bad Ideas you are basically giving me a cart-blache to lead the forum as I see fit or remove me for doing so.

The problem here though is that this forum is supposed to be a place where the community has a real say in what happens. I agree derailing serious threads needs to be stopped but if you were to mod I think you would need to open your mind a little and take in others opinions as well. I still think you'd make an ok mod but you would have to respect the community's opinions as just as valid as your own./
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    I voted no because I think mods should be around for a bit longer. That's not to say he shouldn't be one in the future.
    edited January 2011
    Pick your poison. G'head. :D
    edited January 2011
    And, no.. I would never accept a demi-mod position... not after all I've been through. No, sir. My record speaks for itself.
    I do know your record as moderator, very well. It was thanks to Dfg that reversed the one post ban you placed upon me at zoklet and who knows how many other members you tried your power abuse methods on. totse.info doesn't roll like that Spec. That will just eat this place from the inside out. I'd accept a demi position if offered to you. To prove you can control power & not power control.
    edited January 2011
    bornkiller wrote: »
    ...It was thanks to Dfg that reversed the one post ban you placed upon me at zoklet and who knows how many other members you tried your power abuse methods on....
    Now, now. You know that's a complete falsehood. I would have never banned you unless you were going out of your way to destroy a thread topic. I'd like Dfg to corroborate what you are accusing me of here, if that's not too much to ask. Shame on you. For shame.
    edited January 2011
    Ya, well... the short and the long of it is I will NEVER support repeated and wanton defacement of valid discussion, REGARDLESS of what community wants. I didn't come this far and give up so much just to fold for a mod position at this late date.

You've got it a bit twisted here bud. I don't think anyone in the community is saying they want to permit wanton defacement of valid conversation for the sake of free speech. My understading, and I think most of the reasonable people will agree, is that we as a community do now want to see the type of power abuse take place here that is currently in place at Zoklet.

As a safeguard against that certain site wide policies and procedures have been agreed upon and implemented by the community. While these methods might take a day or two longer to remove the offending party they offer decent assurances that freedom of speech can be maintained without sacrificing intelligent conversation.

I mean if the guest posting is removed from the serious forums and mods are permitted to issue thread bans if a user insists upon a repeated effort to deface a thread then the best interests of both concerns can be served.

With a thread ban the conversation is protected from any further damage, the user is not banned from the site and is free to make another thread on the topic of whatever it is he wishes to discuss, the moderator is safe from accusation of power abuse, and the community keeps a member that might still be capable of being turned around.

Moderators can't be given the kind of carte blanche you are suggesting and you know why. Just look at Zoklet and guys like FlabbyShark, Zos, mksnowboarder, and ate (just to name a few). Everyone of these guys runs there forums there way and the hell with the site rules. Hell, for that matter they not only run things there way but they completely abuse the infraction system in order to remove users they don't like. You know, shit like giving someone a SPAMBOT infraction so the user they don't like get banned or permbanned.

All mods have to follow the same rules and guidelines that are set forth by the community. No mod can be "above the law". Now if you just don't want the mod position and are purposely saying these outlandish things just to make yourself look undesirable as a potential mod then you are doing a great job of it. But I know you well enough to know that you know better than what you have posted ITT.
    edited January 2011
    I voted no because I think mods should be around for a bit longer. That's not to say he shouldn't be one in the future.

STFU n00b -Spectral has been a part of the community since before you shit your first pamper.
    edited January 2011
    Now, now. You know that's a complete falsehood. I would have never banned you unless you were going out of your way to destroy a thread topic. I'd like Dfg to corroborate what you are accusing me of here, if that's not too much to ask. Shame on you. For shame.
    lol! :D
    edited January 2011
    See Spec! I can do that shit here ^ and it's not as dramatic as you stipulate it to be.
  • LouisCypherLouisCypher Regular
    edited January 2011
    Fuck no. Are you people crazy? Spectral is an ideolouge. I can't speak for anyone else but thats not what I'm looking for here. There is no question as to what kind of mod he would be, he's spelled it all out for you right here in his own words.

Sorry Spectral, nothing personal, just politics.
    edited January 2011
    Fuck no. Are you people crazy? Spectral is an ideolouge. I can't speak for anyone else but thats not what I'm looking for here. There is no question as to what kind of mod he would be, he's spelled it all out for you right here in his own words.

Sorry Spectral, nothing personal, just politics.

Yeah, I am really disappointed in -Spectral's reaction to this thread. I am also confused. At Zoklet he fought against the very thing he is saying he would do if he were modded here. You can't just run things by your own opinions that is a dictatorship. With the thread ban in place there is no need for a heavy hand. Just sweep up the dirt and plug up the hole where it was tracked in. No harm no fould and no need to crush skulls.
    edited January 2011
    That's right, Louis. With me you already know what you're going to get! Isn't it wonderful!? :D
  • LuxJigabooLuxJigaboo Regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I am really disappointed in -Spectral's reaction to this thread. I am also confused. At Zoklet he fought against the very thing he is saying he would do if he were modded here. You can't just run things by your own opinions that is a dictatorship. With the thread ban in place there is no need for a heavy hand. Just sweep up the dirt and plug up the hole where it was tracked in. No harm no fould and no need to crush skulls.

-SpectraL has been like this for years. I think at zoklet, we just had a common enemy.
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, I am really disappointed in -Spectral's reaction to this thread. I am also confused. ...
    Here's where you went wrong...

1. You applied a comparison between zos, Firestarter and I, when nothing in the records suggests, or even hints at, such a comparison should be entertained. My history is known to many, and it is a matter of public knowledge, and nothing in it points to the need for such a comparison, so I certainly would not give it the least amount of concern.

2. You assumed that I have not been down this very road not only on Zoklet, but also on the original Totse, as well as The Damage Done and The Revolt Press. You assumed I would be tolerant of the undermining which I have already seen and proven for myself to be in existence in even the most well-meaning of forums. You assumed that, after all I have been through and experienced for myself firsthand, that I would willingly walk into a situation where it would be sure to happen again.

3. You thought that I would afford credibility and weight to the opinion of the majority of community before community has even begun to make their intentions known, as if it would be an automatic thing that I would whole-heartedly accept whatever the majority of community wanted for a forum placed under my care and direction.

I appreciate your true intentions here... which was to give the Bad Ideas forum the best chance for survival and growth... but this thread makes a lot of assumptions which are not actually the case.
    edited January 2011
    That's right, Louis. With me you already know what you're going to get! Isn't it wonderful!? :D

It is actually. Thanks for being honest.
    edited January 2011
    Shit... Dfg banned literally hundreds of useless spammers who were hiding under the free speech gambit, and he's admin'ing this place! Don't you think you should take him on first before you take me on? *snickers*
    edited January 2011
    Yea but thats not how this place was advertised.
    edited January 2011
    Yea but thats not how this place was advertised.
    Community already went ahead and advertised? Jesus! I must have missed that! ;)
    edited January 2011
    Shit... Dfg banned literally hundreds of useless spammers who were hiding under the free speech gambit, and he's admin'ing this place! Don't you think you should take him on first before you take me on? *snickers*
    We don't have as many useless spammers here as zoklet. Maybe you should have been banning useless spammers as well instead of the zoklet community. :D
  • skunkskunk Regular
    edited January 2011
    STFU n00b -Spectral has been a part of the community since before you shit your first pamper.

I actually voted no just to piss you off.
    edited January 2011
    We don't have as many useless spammers here as zoklet. Maybe you should have been banning useless spammers as well instead of the zoklet community. :D
    I've yet to see you bring forward a single case of my supposed "bad" bans, so until you do, I suggest you shut your popcorn hole with the empty accusations. Just because you're a global mod does not give you the right to make baseless accusations with no accompanying documentation, witnesses, or support for it.
    edited January 2011
    Here's where you went wrong...

1. You applied a comparison between zos, Firestarter and I, when nothing in the records suggests, or even hints at, such a comparison should be entertained. My history is known to many, and it is a matter of public knowledge, and nothing in it points to the need for such a comparison, so I certainly would not give it the least amount of concern.

I never mentioned Firestarter and I never compared you to anyone. I merely mentioned a few mods over a t Zoklet as an example of what happens when a mod is given free Riesling without checks an balances. So your first point is silly.
    2. You assumed that I have not been down this very road not only on Zoklet, but also on the original Totse, as well as The Damage Done and The Revolt Press. You assumed I would be tolerant of the undermining which I have already seen and proven for myself to be in existence in even the most well-meaning of forums. You assumed that, after all I have been through and experienced for myself firsthand, that I would willingly walk into a situation where it would be sure to happen again.
    The only one making assumptions is you my friend in assuming I assumed anything about you. Whether or not you had been down any particular path at Zoklet or any were else never entered my mind. The only assumption I made was in assuming you were reasonable enough to understand the need for everyone to play by the same rules.
    3. You thought that I would afford credibility and weight to the opinion of the majority of community before community has even begun to make their intentions known, as if it would be an automatic thing that I would whole-heartedly accept whatever the majority of community wanted for a forum placed under my care and direction.
    No you assumed I thought that. What I thought was that you would make a good mod for Bad Ideas. I see now that I was wrong. If you really think that being able to make the rules as you go and moderate with carte blanch is in anyway good for the community then I was obviously mistaken and for that I apologize.
    I appreciate your true intentions here... which was to give the Bad Ideas forum the best chance for survival and growth... but this thread makes a lot of assumptions which are not actually the case.
    Again he assumptions are almost entirely on your part. I only assumed that you were reasonable enough to moderate in this environment.
  • edited January 2011
    Fuck modding Spectral.....let's talk about adminning him. :thumbsup:

He has the right vision, his resume speaks volumes (despite the naysayers and their EMPTY rhetoric....funny how its STILL the usual gibberish, tap-dancing or chorus of crickets) and he's proven time and again he can be a fair if not soft person with a heart, all the while still giving people the benefit of the doubt and more than a second chance.

If anything Spectral was TOO easy/soft/complacent dealing with some of the more annoying and spastic kidiots. Hell, if Snoopy could could still spend as much time in PEOO as he did when Spectral was modding it proves he should have done MORE with his mod buttons.....not less.

I say give Spectral the mod badge, and insist on more bloodshed this time around....fuck being "nice" about it, we want a community of hardened adults, not babies needing to be coddled and placated with kid gloves. ;)
    edited January 2011
    DaGuru wrote: »
    Fuck modding Spectral.....let's talk about adminning him. :thumbsup:

He has the right vision, his resume speaks volumes (despite the naysayers and their EMPTY rhetoric....funny how its STILL the usual gibberish, tap-dancing or chorus of crickets) and he's proven time and again he can be a fair if not soft person with a heart, all the while still giving people the benefit of the doubt and more than a second chance.

If anything Spectral was TOO easy/soft/complacent dealing with some of the more annoying and spastic kidiots. Hell, if Snoopy could could still spend as much time in PEOO as he did when Spectral was modding it proves he should have done MORE with his mod buttons.....not less.

I say give Spectral the mod badge, and insist on more bloodshed this time around....fuck being "nice" about it, we want a community of hardened adults, not babies needing to be coddled and placated with kid gloves. ;)

Don't you ever tire of riding the same pony?
    edited January 2011
    ...Again he assumptions are almost entirely on your part. I only assumed that you were reasonable enough to moderate in this environment.
    No offense intended, and I do appreciate the good faith, but I've just been burned too many fucking times by those with the actual control to fuck around playing games with anybody. From now on, if I am to lead and take a forum into my care, it will be without fear of well-meaning reprisals which indeed run contrary to the welfare of the community at large, and it will be without the possibility of well-meaning but hypocritical undermining. If somebody at the top doesn't like the way I do things, then they would always have the option to remove me entirely, but while I'm on the hotseat I would intend to deliver exactly how I think I should be delivering... not according to the opinion of whoever has control of the admin control panel... and not according to who can reverse what... and not according to the opinion of the offenders and their conspirators themselves.
  • edited January 2011
    Don't you ever tire of riding the same pony?

Ruh roh....and right after you started a thread in SG proclaiming "no butthurt grudges exist on Totse compared to Zoklet".

What is it Rodent, should I just stay off of any thread you post on....for fear of disagreeing with your brittle opinions? :confused:

InB4 another "unsubscription", and my entire day is ruined. :D
    edited January 2011
    I've yet to see you bring forward a single case of my supposed "bad" bans, so until you do, I suggest you shut your popcorn hole with the empty accusations. Just because you're a global mod does not give you the right to make baseless accusations with no accompanying documentation, witnesses, or support for it.
    baseless accusations
    I don't need to make baseless accusations Spec...Your zoklet moderation record does that for you as does your philosophy on how to handle a moderator position in this thread,

global moderator.
    We are not gods here, merely regulars with a few responsibilities. The members are the gods...not us. Without them this place is fucked. They make the decisions, not us. If I had my way I'd be resetting the poll back to "0" and get everyone to vote again. Since you're showing your true attitude in this thread.

shut your popcorn hole
    Don't bark commands at me dumbass. It's not helping your campaign any. It makes you sound like a DICKtator.
  • edited January 2011
    Your zoklet moderation record does that for you .

Does it?

Again, provide SPECIFIC examples if they exist. Until then you are just prattling on with EMPTY bullshit. Plenty of people believe otherwise, and were absolutely content with the way he modded BI back on Zoklet.

You keep repeating it a thousand times how much you THINK his modding sucked, but we still see no examples of why. Why the fuck should anyone take YOUR word over all the other people that believe completely opposite?

Put up or shut up....
    edited January 2011
    I'm gonna have to change my vote on this one. ITT Spectral has shown he will mod in a manner that goes completely against what this place is about. You openly admitting you will run BI the way you see fit even if admins and the whole community is against it proves you shouldn't be a mod. You always talk about how they abuse power on zoklet but now you say you would do the same? I'm basing this change of mind soley one what you have said in this thread.